clear coat and decals

B

Bikecrazidanny

Hey guys just a quick one, Im about to start re-applying my decals on the duke after royally messing up the first batch. Want to know if I should put them on the base coat or on to a light layer of clear, Im using zero paints Ducati red and their premixed clear coat. Just want to be sure dont want to ruin another set of decals if I can get them all on this time, lol. :smiling3:

G

Gomer Pyle

Hi Dan. It depends on what the decals are representing. If they are representing stickers that on the 1:1 also are raised from the clear coat surface, than you need to clear coat and finish all your polishing before adding the decals - make sure to wash the parts thoroughly in dishwater before adding decals.

If, on the other hand, the decals are representing something that is painted or printed on the 1:1 version then you need to clear coat slightly less, first a mist layer and then a thin wet layer (just enough to get a glossy finish). After this you add the decals (you might what to use decal solvents) and let them dry overnight. Lastly you add a couple more mist coats of clear and a wet coat - let cure and then polish to a high shine - be careful not to burn through to the decals when polishing.

/Daniel