Clear coat overspray/ white mist problem

Tomra1

SMF Supporter
First Name
Tom
Hi guys, I’m in need of some help and advice, clear coats have been a thorn in my side since I started this hobby and it’s probably because I’m making rookie mistakes, however in an attempt to improve I bought Mr color super clear III and have thinned it 50:50 with mr color levelling thinner, I do a tack coat and then a wet coat which gives me a good finish on flat surfaces however I get a white dusting or overspray on corners or perpendicular surfaces around the point of application, I haven’t found any solutions as of yet so I’m requesting help from the experts, I’ve attached a picture with a example of what I’m getting, any suggestions on how to stop this or deal with it would be much appreciated, thank you

Attachments

• 8E465F80-2DCF-4C2A-BE2F-93C3601D5C6E.jpeg
    8E465F80-2DCF-4C2A-BE2F-93C3601D5C6E.jpeg
    68.6 KB · Views: 32
  • 06E6FA3D-4619-4582-ABCE-7A10CC76C588.jpeg
    06E6FA3D-4619-4582-ABCE-7A10CC76C588.jpeg
    81.4 KB · Views: 32

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
What pressure and distance are you spraying? It looks like the varnish has basically dried before hitting the surface? I use similar varnish combinations and would use 15-20 psi and spray from close enough to allow the spray to land wet.
As to dealing with it once it’s happened, try misting on a coat of levelling thinner on its own. It may reactivate the varnish and level it off.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
I think Tim is right. If the white dust areas are rough to the touch then that would tend to confirm that the varnish is drying before it hits the model.
Welcome to the forum.
Jim

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Sorry Tom, never noticed it was your first post....a warm welcome from me as well.....

D

Deleted member 7181

Hi Tom.

I agree with the Tim & Jim, it's drying before it hits the surface, probably because it's way too thick and you're having to ramp up the pressure to get a nice finish. I use super clear lll (GX-100) a lot, and thin it at least 1 part clear : 4 parts levelling thinner (MLT). Sometimes even thinner.

One trick you can try is to load neat levelling thinner into your airbrush and carefully mist it onto those dry areas. It should melt* the dusty bits and blend them in. Be gentle and take it steady though!

*not the right term, but close enough.