Clear Matt Coat-Advice Please!

A

Alte Hase

Hi All,

I mostly build 1:48 WW2 Luftwaffe models, so a matt finish is obviously something very necessary to my finished models. Up until now, I've painted the model, applied Testors TS13 'Clear', to give a good smooth surface onto which I apply the decals (using Tamiya MarkFit as a decal setting solution), then when all is dry, I apply a thin coat of Testors 1260 Dullcote, which works fantastically and gives a perfect matt finish.

Sadly, Testors products are no longer available anywhere in South Africa, and I've just exhausted my supply of Dullcote :sad:

So I'm looking for a good alternative that will be as good in providing a matt clear coat. We only get Humbrol and Tamiya here, so I bought a bottle of Humbrol Matt Cote, as well as a tin of Humbrol 49 Matt Varnish. I'd like to ask the following please:

-Is there any difference between Humbrol Matt Cote and Humbrol 48 Matt Varnish tins?

-Are the stories of 'frosting' and decal damage using these products true, and if so how can I avoid them?

-I'm airbrushing it on, so what ratio of thinning agent should I add, and what should I thin it with? Is thinners OK, or must I use White Spirit?

-I mostly paint with Tamiya, Humbrol and Testors ENAMELS-do these Humbrol Matt coatings interact badly with these?

Thanks So much for your help, in advance!

Mike

First Name
Dave
Hi Mike.I use mainly enamel paints and have had problems with Humbrols Matt clear products.I used to thin it and apply with an airbrush.But it would sometimes dry leaving white patches all over the model.I used Humbrol thinners as well.After ruining two models i now wont touch the stuff.Since joining this forum i have started using Vallejo clear varnishes.So far i have used them on six models and they are brilliant.Perfect results everytime (so far!).They are acrylic and i thin them 50/50 with Vallejo's own thinners and apply them with an airbrush.I still use enamels but these are the only matt varnishes i will use now.Hope this helps.

M

munkster

Ooh, glad I saw this - Dave you say you thin Vallejo's varnishes? Is this absolutely necessary since I thought I read that they are ready-to-airbrush? I have to admit I have yet to try but wondered what the consensus was? I don't have any Vallejo thinners, will any other work? I have Xtracrylix and Tamiya thinners as well as plenty of water in the tap!

(Sorry for the thread hiijack but presume my Q is of use to the OP too!!)

First Name
Dave
There are two types of Vallejo that i am aware of .Vallejo and Vallejo Air.The latter is thinned for airbrush use.My local hobby shop doesnt have these so i use ordinary Vallejo and thin it.

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
I understood that the Vallejo Air Varnishes and Vallejo Varnishes were the same with only different packaging and they are in the process of amalgamating the production lines for this. Therefore neither need be thinned. I may be wrong but I am sure that I read that somewhere.

First Name
Dave
I must admit ive not used Vallejo Air.Im going by what ive learned from this forum.My own experience is using Vallejo thinned 50/50 With their varnish.This works perfectly in my Spraymaster dual action airbrush.Im told this airbrush is a cheap copy of an Iwata.But so what?,its a very good airbrush.Much better than my Badger which was three times the price.What im trying to say is thinned Vallejo works well in a £45 airbrush. So it should be good in any airbrush

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I only use the regular Vallejo stuff (not the model air) and I find that a small amount of thinner makes it spay a lot easier. I can spray it out the bottle, I find its just better with the thinner.

To give a reply Alte can use I would just say that I also use the Humbrol clear cotes, from time to time. (They prevent yellowing of light colours...) The thing is that it MUST be shaken and stirred and shaken some more until your arms are like jelly. This should prevent the dreaded clouding. Also if you dont shake the matt one good enough it makes a very good gloss varnish. Ask me how I know that lol.

Ian M

First Name
Dave
I suggest you buy several bottles off the internet.im sure some companies here in the UK will post stuff to S A.Try Hannants or even the Scale models shop.If you order in bulk it shouldnt prove too expensive.I dont know anyone in the UK whp stocks Testors products.The only time i managed to by these was whilst working in Saudi Arabia!.With all due respect to Ian i wouldnt touch the Humbrol product with a barge pole.You shouldnt have to stir it till your arm drops off before it will work.Can you get Revell Paints where you are?.I used to use their enamel matt clear and found it very good.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Well Dave, you dont actually have to shake it until your arm falls off:

Exaggeration accentuates Understanding. The main reason I dont use it much is due to the drying time and the pong factor.

I am pretty sure John will send you some Vallejo but ask for a postage quote first.

Ian M

First Name
Dave
Actually Ian i didnt think you were exagerating.I tried stiring the stuff for much longer than should be necessary.I then thinned it with Humbrol thinners and tried it on the gloss black underside of the vacform Halifax i spent 4 months building.And guess what?.it dried in white patches.So im sorry but i wont be using the stuff again.Especialy when there are better products on the market (in my opinion).Ive ieven made a paint stiring tool from a small electric motor in case its me being a bit limp wristed!.Tested some on an old model with the same result.Anyway,each to their own.

First Name
Dave
Mike,if you decide to use the Humbrol matt cote Please post a picture of the results good or bad.And if you get a perfect matt finish i will eat my airbrush!!

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
:laughing: Woua!

A Danish political correspondent said he would eat his hat if Helle Toring won the election. He had it cooked and served to him on a morning TV show a week later....LOL

I can understand your doubts after what happened with your Halifax.

Ian M