CLELIA - research submersible

N

new to trains

http://img136.echo.cx/img136/6055/subsmaller7xn.jpg

( click on link above for image )

this is another of my models, based on the californian 'Harbor branch' oceanographic institutes 4 man research submersible called CLELIA.

the model is scratchbuilt and fully working and Radio controlled, just over 3 feet in length she is a static diving model ( can dive and surface without the need for forward propulsion )

the model features working external lights fitted with ultrabright white LED's - and these are exceelent at night underwater !

the model is controlled by 4 channel RC and is powered by 4ah nicads giving a run time of 2 hours between charges, seen here at a local model show.

The model is mainly fibreglass and the cage is made in 10mm and 12mm stainless steel, which makes for a very solid safety cell !

The model was featured on discovery channels' supermodels II tv programme.

Last edited:
K

Kiwi

Nice model, but HUGE image. Had to scroll back and forth to see it.

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Thats is a most unusual model Mr Lego,some nice workmanship too.

B

Bluewavestudios

Nice model indeed !!!

Kiwi, if you click in the bottom right corner of the image or even just hover your mouse cursor in same position you should get a box to shrink the image pop up, click on that and it becomes viewable on one screen then.

Click back on it go go big again.

(This only works when the image window is opened up full size, if you open a new window within the main window it comes up small size automatically for you...right click on the link to the pic and select open in new window from the list)

Regards.........Mark

Last edited:
N

noobee captain

:respect4: :respect4: :respect4: :respect4: :respect4:

Bravo !! Lovely model, wish I had the talent!

S

squiffythewombat

i know this thread is old, BUT OMG WHAT A MODEL!!!! thats actually amazing Guy!!!

Any chance of a few more pics? also WHERE CAN I GET THIS SUPER MODELS PROGRAM???? ive been trying for ages, but not having sky, its really rather hard? any ideas?

Sorry for dragging up old threads!

N

new to trains

will find some images....and post them in due course......

supermodels vol I and II was filmed by oval films ( london)- it was then shown on discovery channel ( home and leisure)

the 3 video box set for vol 1 and the 3 video box set of vol II were offered for sale thorugh the modelling magazines direct from oval films, - but i am sure if you contact oval films they would let you know how to get a copy.....you could try them on a google search.....

the section on subs is only 6 mins long (on vol II ) and features my sub for only about 55 seconds !- the rest is us talking to camera !!!! and then about 5 minutes of other subs from our club,

i have also mislaid my copy of the tape, and it has oval's address on the cover !

they sometimes pop up on ebay too, so keep your eyes peeled !

if i know i am going to any shows you are visiting i will put the sub in the car then you can see it in action sometime....

its a bit of fun and something a bit different !

N

new to trains

found some more.... most taken at the weymouth marine modelling weekend in july- i think 2004 0r 2005.....

S

squiffythewombat

Thanks Guy :smiling:

I think the lights really set it off! was it hard to make sure the LEDs were waterproofed? Ive never modelled a boat, i would like to but the timescale is so long! Mind you a nice steamer would be great to tinker with!

Also what scale is it? because it so unusal its hard to get an idea of scale, you say its 3 feet long??? so it has to be what 1:12th?

Im going to google oval films later, im sure i can put the vids down as a "business expense" lol! did the series just do boats or was it everything?

Totally off subject, have you ever seen that 1:12th ferrari with working scale engine etc? it was on jermory clarksons series!

N

new to trains

hi squiffy,

the supermodels videos cover lots of model making topics, from RC aircraft to rc trucks, model railways to the company that produces a model beating heart for surgeons to practice on !- and everything in between, there was some one who built an RC airship, someone who builds model tanks, RC subs, architectural modelmakers and someone who had engineered a working model of an insect to fully understand the aerodynamics of insect wings in flight !- there is bound to be something in there that is of interest- the topics are wide and varied !

back to the sub, the lights are white and red LED, the leds are built into the light housing and clear resin is carefully poured on top, this ' pots' the LED and makes in watertight- the clear resin is the type used to make paperweights.... crystal clear and very strong....

the sub is built to a scale of 1 to 10 -the central body is a spun fibre pressure vessel, and the tolerances in the wall thinkness is not fantastic- but it keeps the internals safe and dry !- it will withstand over 300psi !

but 1 to 10 was used to scale the details and the body and tanks.....

dont think i have seen the working ferrari... but will do some searching now - sounds cool !

S

Subpilot

Su Pilot

Hello Guy, My name is Gary and I am a pilot on the Perry submersibles PC1205 and 1203 and have worked at Harbor Branch Home of Clelia (PC1204) a great sub buy the way. I am so impressed with your model I am interested in purchasing it. Please let me know if you are able to part with it.

Gary

S

Subpilot

Hello Guy,

My name is Gary and I am a pilot on the Perry submersibles PC1205 and 1203 and have worked at Harbor Branch Home of Clelia (PC1204) a great sub buy the way. I am so impressed with your model I am interested in purchasing it. Please let me know if you are able to part with it.

Gary

N

new to trains

Sorry but to sell it would be like losing a limb !- she is not for sale, but if you want to know more so you can recreate one then just ask....

ps you have a cool job !

A

AerynPk

That model is just amazing well done and i bet that took a long time to build.

R

rjwood_uk

congrats guy. i knew i recognised it.

beautiful model mate!!! :smiling3: