Cockpit wash

T

Twigs

Once cockpit is painted and fully detailed , want to put on a wash , what barrier do you use between the painting process and the wash , are. Decals affected ?

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi Peter, it depends on the wash solvent that you are using. If its petroleum based like turpentine then I would use an acrylic varnish which is waterbased. Future acrylic varnish(basically a floor varnish) works as a seal or barrier to protect the coat of paint. It can also be uased to protect the decals after application. It dries shiny gloss and lets the wash flow easily into the corners of raised detail.

I've always had a phobia with wash mucking the underlying paint but a gloss varnish has solved that although I still use watercolor with a dash of detergent for my washes just in case I forget to spray a protective layer of varnish.

Cheers,
Richard

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
For acrylic paint washes, or enamel paint washes over acrylic paint, I don’t see a need to put anything over the paints underneath. If you’re putting an enamel paint wash over dried enamel paint you may want to put a coat of water-based varnish on first,

Do note that with “wash” I mean normal paint that has been highly thinned, not a pre-made wash you buy in a bottle. I have no idea what effect that may have on dried paint, as I’ve never used one and am not contemplating doing so any time soon :smiling3:

T

Twigs

For acrylic paint washes, or enamel paint washes over acrylic paint, I don’t see a need to put anything over the paints underneath. If you’re putting an enamel paint wash over dried enamel paint you may want to put a coat of water-based varnish on first,

Do note that with “wash” I mean normal paint that has been highly thinned, not a pre-made wash you buy in a bottle. I have no idea what effect that may have on dried paint, as I’ve never used one and am not contemplating doing so any time soon :smiling3:
cheers Jakko , that is really helpful as i have brought an enamel wash for my cockpit on the mosquito ,
now i need to find out if i should use a varnish first.