Colin M Cosford £5.00 build.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Neigh! The 'orse looks fine - as does the tank.

Nice work Colin.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Looks mighty fine colin, the oil filtering worked a treat. The hoss looks great too and i reckon the sizings about right , the stuart was only about 16 foot long , cheers tony

M

MrGotty

Looking great bro, I was a bit sceptical considering the kit didnt look the best quality but its actually turning out quite nice :smiling3: Good Job so far!

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
Cracking work Colin! Nice, very nice.

The take on the horse is probably the fact that originally the horses were the cavalry this term crossed over when they went mechanised.

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
the kit didnt look the best quality
It's not a great kit Scott, but it's so small, there's not going to be a lot of detail anyway, so it doesn't matter too much.
Cracking work Colin! Nice, very nice.
The take on the horse is probably the fact that originally the horses were the cavalry this term crossed over when they went mechanised.

That was our guess as well. But the instructions leave a lot to be desired. There is no indication of why the horse is included, but a sort of then and now scenario makes sense. It's hard enough stepping into armour world, but now I've got an animal to paint as well. Flippin' horse.

Anyway, the oily tiny tank needs a fair portion of time to dry, so, what about a scene / base type display. Yes why not. There's no point in stopping at armour and animals, let's do a dio' as well.

So, the ingredients. This box had a couple of bottles of French wine in it, but I just couldn't through it away. Modellers seem to have a sixth sense that some old bit of tat might be useful one day.
IMG_0990.JPG

The rest of my ingredients. Nothing extra has been purchased, this is all old stuff I've used in the past.
IMG_0991.JPG

These rocks are actually a bit of mortar of the back of an old paving stone I liberated at the weekend. And the white plaster type stuff, some of the Cosford Massive might remember me winning this at a Cosford raffle some years back.
IMG_0993.JPG

So, the rough idea (I do mean rough, chip in with easy suggestions) is below. The tank commander pauses when he realises he is about to cross a field of next seasons Beaujolais. Can he do it, or will he go around the field. Straight away there are problems here. Vines wouldn't be growing on a ploughed field. So maybe he's just stopped to read a map.
IMG_0995.JPG

That's it for now. Bed time.

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
Well, a kit for £5.00 or less, I thought it would be a bit of a challenge finding one, but surprisingly, there was plenty to choose from. So for me, I thought I would try something a little on the esoteric side, well for me anyway.

To start with, I'm going to put this to one side for tonight, I can't have my nice tidy aircraft mixing with a dirty tank. Tank, what ever that is ?
View attachment 279496

So here is the 'Science Technology' Stuart, light tank. It's tiny, 1:72 or 1:76 I think.
View attachment 279497

The price.
View attachment 279500

Sprues. Quite tidy, a little flash. Yes, you can see a horse. A flippin' horse. Monica does a 'mean' horse, I'll send it to her, see if she can have it done by the end of the week !! Those decals, aren't decals, they're stickers. I kid you not. I've bought a toy, not a model. The tracks, nice rubbery tracks.
View attachment 279501

But luckily, the box also contained this. 'The King of glues' I suspect you're all a bit jealous now, having laughed at my stickers.
View attachment 279502

Time to stick plastic. Although I might use a different glue. I'll save the 'King of glue' for a special project.

Colin M..
ha,oh lol,ta for such a nice compartment,:D
I do enjoy doing them,

monica

SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
all looking real good on this build,
do real like that mortar,;)

monica

SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
Well if Dave said so, fair enough.................................

Right, just a bit more done.

Look, it's a horse.
View attachment 280600

Tiny tank is built, primed and pre shaded.
View attachment 280601

Colour is on. Don't shoot me, it's just a generic green I happened to have - I build aircraft not tanks. But don't worry, the green is not actually that light.
View attachment 280602

Now for something quite new to me. Oil dot filtering. I thought I would have a go at this process. So, on with the dots.
View attachment 280603

View attachment 280604

Then after 'splodging' all the oil around, it looks like this.
View attachment 280605
View attachment 280606

The difference is subtle, will it be enough ? I'll let you know in about a month when it's dry.

But look, even the horse didn't escape the oil treatment. He has a nice shiny coat now.
View attachment 280607
Now then, I know these tanks were small, or is that horse huge ?

Colin M..
looks about right,to me,as its a small tank,much like a sardine can ,would perfore to be on the horse can run away faster,

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Oy, Sunshine. don't forget to add the corrugated coffee cup (aka ploughed field) you nicked from the Cosford cafe!!

Looking good Col' but be careful this dioramoringing lark if infectious......

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
don't forget to add the corrugated coffee cup (aka ploughed field) you nicked from the Cosford cafe
Good lord old boy - look closer. Right hand side. But as I've caught your attention. Water, will thin layers of PVA glue do the trick ? Also, should it be watered down, or go neat.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Lost in translation, I fear. I saw the 'ploughed field' straight off. I meant add the cup to the list of other bits and pieces you accumulated at the start of your excellent looking build.
Is that the shallow water I see behind the tank? If so, paint the base the required colour with acrylics and then coat with ordinary household gloss varnish. Gloss paint of the colour you fancy will do just as well....In fact any paint that will dry shiny works for shallow water.

When I slosh on the PVA, I always water it down. In fact I use very little PVA, I just mix it until it's kind of sticky to the touch (Ooo Matron!) I've not used PVA for water, so I can't advise there, old lad. But certainly give everything else a good soaking with the stuff. It seals surfaces nicely for subsequent work.

A good dollop of clear silicone will stick yer rocks down......

I hope the above is of some help.

Ron

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Lost in translation, I fear. I saw the 'ploughed field' straight off. I meant add the cup to the list of other bits and pieces you accumulated at the start of your excellent looking build
Roger Ron, received and understood. Well I haven't actually used the cup, but did manage to extract the ploughed field from it. Thanks for the advice on the puddle I will be creating.

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
You could have a wall at the edge of your field and the horse rider saying to the tank commander:

"Betcha ya can't jump that as well as my horse can!"

PS Looking really good so far Col.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
You could have a wall at the edge of your field and the horse rider saying to the tank commander:

"Betcha ya can't jump that as well as my horse can!"

PS Looking really good so far Col.

Tankies reply....."Maybe not, but I can knock it down a darn sight faster than your horse can!"

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Tankies reply....."Maybe not, but I can knock it down a darn sight faster than your horse can!"

'You gotta be kiddin'! With a Stuart? I ain't sure that thing would get through a privet hedge, let alone a solid brick wall!'

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
.......just remember that ram and - Oops, there goes a million kilowatt dam!

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
'You gotta be kiddin'! With a Stuart? I ain't sure that thing would get through a privet hedge, let alone a solid brick wall!'
:D:D:D:D