Colin M - Eduard 1:48 Sopwith F.1 Camel

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
So, this is where I'll build my Camel. Well it will be when I'm back from my hols in a week or so. Well, nothing to report yet, except the box looks very nice !

Colin M...

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Hi Colin

looking forward to the Sopwith Camel. It'll be interesting to see this build develop as I'm not familiar with the kit.

have a great holiday and see you in the GB when you're back

Cheers

Paul

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
have a good holiday. Going some where nice?

Don't forget to post the box art and sprue shots. It's always nice to see whats in the box.

Ian M

T

tecdes

Very interesting Colin.

WW1 machines seem much more complicated.

Nice thing as well all the cockpit detail etc. is there to be admired & not hidden as WW11 stuff.

Laurie

M

mobear

oooOOooo another soppy,will it be loud and proud?

mobear

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
\ said:
have a good holiday. Going some where nice?Don't forget to post the box art and sprue shots. It's always nice to see whats in the box.

Ian M
Somewhere nice ? It's now 24 degrees, lava everywhere and the G & T is free. I think I'll be ok !

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
At last I can make a start. On returning from the holiday, I had to contend with a broken toilet, but far worse than that - no broadband. Can you imagine life in a house where the teenager can't use the web, and the wife can't access Facebook......my life was hell. Anywell, all fixed now.

So, in my absence, I made a start on the Camel.

View attachment 44187

The box art. This comes complete with two pieces of PE.

View attachment 44188

The wicker seat and fuel tank all done.

View attachment 44189

The engine. I went cross eyed wiring the twin plugs up !

View attachment 44190

And finally for now, the instrumment panel. I find this quite funny. I've made it look more like a walnut veneer dashboard out of a Bentley instead of a WW1 instrument panel. Maybe this pilot liked a touch of class ??

Colin M..

View attachment 47387

View attachment 47388

View attachment 47389

View attachment 47390

Box etc.jpg

Cockpit.jpg

Engine.jpg

Ins. Panel.jpg

S

Sky Raider

Thats beautifully done Colin, cant wait to see more mate.

Cheers

Andy

mossiepilot

A learner learning
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tony
Cracking start Colin, thats really great work.

Tony.

T

tecdes

Very nice Colin.

Did you add the copper pipes on the engine or did the model come with them. Which ever they look really the part.

Laurie

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Beautiful work Colin. This is going to be great!

Paul

A

andyrobs

Hi Colin, cracking start mate, lovely detail, I'll be watching this one

Cheers, Andrew

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Thanks all for having a look. I've never worked with this level / amount of photo etch before. It's clearly great stuff for detailing, but more than a bit trickey in places.

Laurie, the kit comes with all sorts of extras, like 2 sets of photo etch, some tiny bits of resin and some paint masks. The 'copper' wires are part of the PE included with the kit.

Colin M.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Thats looking very sharp Colin. Some great detail and I do like that custom panel.

Ian M

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Well, a bit of an update. I spent the whole of last evening having a bit of a fight with the Camel.

First problem was an error by myself.

View attachment 44268

I've only fitted the fuel tank back to front, which means the fuel filler is in the wrong place to go through the top of the fuselage. On close examination of the instructions, they do indicate the tank should be leaning backwards ! That wasn't too clear to me. Unfortunately as the cockpit assembley doesn't fit inside the cockpit very well, a trial fit was nearly impossible.

View attachment 44269

It's not to easy to see, but the mounting points for the cockpit assembley had to be made wider, no big deal.

View attachment 44270

But finally, I got the assembley lined up and in place. The next problem was getting the instrument panel to go in as well. Quite simply the IP mounting bar isn't wide enough. You might have noticed I've cut the fuel filler off. That can be re- fitted later !

View attachment 44271

The instrument panel is in place, but I will need to add some sort of extra support before the fire wall goes in place just to make sure it stays where I put it.

Tonight's work will mainly consist of removing surface detail and replacing it with PE. The kit is well detailed and I would be quite happy with the plastic detail, but as I've got loads of PE to use, on it goes. Right, where's that file.

View attachment 47460

View attachment 47461

View attachment 47462

View attachment 47463

Back to front fuel tank.jpg

Cockpit modification.jpg

Mounted.jpg

Fuselage.jpg

M

mobear

still with the small probs you are making it look really really nice,i`m not sure i wouldve managed to make this plane in 1/48,but you are doing great

mobear