Colin M - Eduard 1:48 Sopwith F.1 Camel

C

CDW

Don't know how i missed this one Colin, superb up to now matey.

Looking forward to the finished article ..... don't stress too much on the struts ok !!

Cheers ....

t'other Colin :smiling3:

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
I too have missed this one Colin great build and a some really nice paint work going on there. Keep the photos coming.

Vaughan

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
View attachment 44829

Thanks again to all for having a look.

So, I now know why we don't see too many Bi-planes around on the forum. Upper wing alignment -good lord ! The pic above shows the lower part of the camel blutacked to the work mat, carefully following the 45 degree line. This lets me view the model from the side and front, all important for alignment. The dihedral of the lower wing was measured many times over and small adjustmants made until I had 9mm clearence between the wing and work mat on both sides. Gentle pressure was applied to the blutak. With the model now firmly stuck to the mat, that was one less thing to move out of place.

I decided just to fix the interplane struts in place, I couldn't work out how I would do the cabane struts at the same time, so they can go in later.

View attachment 44830

Now, I only swore once during the fitting of the top wing. Yeah me ! The struts were attached to the lower wing, with loose bits of blutak just to keep the struts sort of in the correct position. (I have to say the location of the struts is not very positive at all) Then lower the upper wing into place, that last bit sounds easy...............

So there it is, upper wing in place. Note to me - walk away very slowly, go to the pub for lunch and don't even think about touching the Camel until tomorrow.

View attachment 47985

View attachment 47986

Blutak alignment.jpg

Upper wing.jpg

S

Sky Raider

Thats looking fantastic Colin, i have a nice SE5a kit id love to have built if you fancy it. ill pay you for your trouble mate.

Cheers

Andy

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Gently does it colin! looking great now , superb paint finish, cheers tony

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Its looking great Colin. I can see now where I went wrong. I opened the box LOL.

I have the Roden SE5 and even though I have built one already, I keep putting it off and finding some thing else to build.

I am liking the way you are attacking this, I think I might try the same way as you have.

Ian M

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Thanks again for having a look everyone.

Andy, that's a very kind offer, but I've seen what you can build. You will manage your SE5 no problem.

Ian, funny you mention Roden. When I was searching for a WW1 model, it seemed that the two biggest players were Roden and Eduard. I think I'll have to have a go at a Roden kit sometime in the distant future.

Tony, gently. I was so gentle with the rigging, this little 1:48 plane has taken 3 days to rig !!

So, here's the evidence of my work so far. I'll have to check my rigging diagram again, but I think it's all in place. I just need to touch up a few holes and the rigging is done (oh well except for the undercarriage)

One thing is sort of on my mind. The rigging is the wrong colour. It should be some sort of grey / silver not black. However, I think I'm going to leave it black because, I don't know how EZ line would behave over time if I painted it. Paint / pen on the EZ line might cause some sort of accelarated decay and my rigging might start to pop in a year or two. Unless of course, you know different ??

View attachment 44885View attachment 44886View attachment 44887

View attachment 48034

View attachment 48035

View attachment 48036

Rigging 1.jpg

Rigging 2.jpg

Rigging 3.jpg

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Just a bit more work done. This Camel has a nice neat little PE bomb rack and four resin / PE bombs. One small bomb is made up of 6 even smaller parts. How many times did I super glue a fin to my finger ??

View attachment 45067

View attachment 48192

Bombs.jpg

C

CDW

Looks really good matey, the rigging looks like a "5 swear words per minute" task....

\ said:
How many times did I super glue a fin to my finger ??
I'm guessing 4 .... is there a prize for the correct answer ? :smiling3: :smiling3:

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Only 4, Colin, there are 16 fins in total ! I swear, I have little or no finger prints left.

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
This is wonderful work Colin and not long to the finish now I suspect.

Everything looks perfect, well done mate. The PE fins are a nice touch on the bombs - it will complete a finely detailed model.

Cheers

P

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Thank you all for watching this one. Now then old habbits die hard. I have completed the build, but like a fool posted the pics in the Aircraft pictures section - where I normally post things like that, but of course the GB has it's own completed area ! doh...

Colin M

Last edited by a moderator:
C

CDW

\ said:
but of course the GB has it's own completed area ! doh.
I didn't even see the completed area so don't worry Colin

I've just shown the finished photos within the original thread ..... like a smeghead

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Ah the magical powers of a moderator, thanks Ian.....Colin, we must try harder !

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
\ said:
I didn't even see the completed area so don't worry ColinI've just shown the finished photos within the original thread ..... like a smeghead
See now thats a problem....lol

Ian M