Colin M. Sopwith 5F.1 Dolphin, Copper State Models 1:48

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Apologise for being late to the party, I blame Mr Airfix. A rather nice Buccaneer landed on my door mat, which demanded to be built straight away, so it was. Anyway, that's now on the shelf, I can crack on with this strange little beast. Yes, beast, why would anyone call an aircraft after a marine mammal ?
So, the boxes, both of them. The outer box.
2.JPG

Contained a second box,
1.JPG

Which contained some very nice plastic,
5.JPG

Lots of photo etch,
4.JPG

Which I've started chopping up and attaching to other bits of plastic.
7.JPG
6.JPG

OK, not much of an update, but at least I've started.

Copper State models is a new brand to me. And I have to say it's looking very nice. No flash, very little if any moulding lines, a few ejector pin marks, but no where that will be visible. I've had to create some wood in the cockpit, using oils, so this is drying over night, so I might be able to close up the fuselage tomorrow, once some other bits are stuck in place of course.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Colin
I have not heard of Copper State Models either. Made in Europe which is unusual. Looks a very nice kit. Not being too nosey but what is the pricing like?
Jim

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
what is the pricing like
I bought this a couple of years ago and it was about £30.00. I bought it at a show and the stand had some sprues on display, which sealed the deal for me.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
That is certainly not expensive for what looks a high quality kit.
Jim

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
That looks like a nice kit Colin...at 1/48 could be about the size of a 1/72 Walrus. Dang, I gotta get my other builds underway.

Cheers,
Richard

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
looks a very nice kit colin , loads of pe to add too . Its going to look brilliant ( no pressure!) cheers tony

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Copper State Models are now based in Riga, Latvia ( the company originator was from Arizona, hence the name ). They make a comprehensive range of WWI aircraft in 1/32 &1/48 - they have branched out into 1/35 with a WWI Lanchester Armoured Car, which looks rather good
Dave

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Copper State Models are now based in Riga, Latvia ( the company originator was from Arizona, hence the name ). They make a comprehensive range of WWI aircraft in 1/32 &1/48 - they have branched out into 1/35 with a WWI Lanchester Armoured Car, which looks rather good
Dave
I’ve seen the armoured car, and I’m very tempted myself Dave.

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
1/48 could be about the size of a 1/72 Walrus
I would agree Richard.
Dave
I reckon it's a company I'll probably keep an eye out for in the future.

So, a couple more pictures.
The interior is done. The instrument panel is added later.
8.JPG
9.JPG

It's a strange thing when I build WW1 models. I seem to end up with loads of little bits, which all of a sudden turn into a model. All in primer, time for colour.
10.JPG

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
So, I found some time and managed a bit more. Whilst certainly not in the realm of track assembly, I do have a few of these little things to sort out. Copper State Models have provided PE rigging eyes. There's a few different types supplied their use depending on where they will be used. I normally make my own, which means with a bit of poetic licence and some foresight, one piece of rigging can run through several points in one go. Not today, using the kit PE means every piece of rigging will be individual. But still, despite the extra work, I do think it's a nice touch by CSM.
However, mounting two pieces of PE per strut, that's eight struts (ignoring the four cabane, which also have PE attached) and then aligning the upper wing (which is staggered back) I feel is really going to test my patience. I'll have to think of a suitable reward for a successful mission.
11.JPG

Nice PE though, you can see here, there's quite a few common ones, and a few individual rigging points. There's a thought, I must remember half of them must be mounted upside down !
12.JPG

Underside painted, that's my version of clear doped linin. It will be weathered later.
13.JPG

Then PC10 added. As you can see, there's very little masking with these WW1 kits.
14.JPG

PC10, a colour that has caused a few 'conversations' over time, and will forever more. The experts say it could be any shade from chocolate brown to some sort of green. I like green, so that's what I go for. This paint is from MRP, and is specifically sold as PC 10 (early or late - I can't remember) It looks green in the bottle, but as I started to spray, it went on brown, I was a bit disappointed, but then before my eyes, as the colour built up, it turned this shade of green, which I quite like. This picture doesn't show what I was hoping for. It's green, but a definite nod towards brown.
15.JPG

Which eventually gives us this. My WW1 builds always seem to morph to this situation, it looks like a pre-painted kit ready for assembly. As daft as it looks, this follows the construction of many real aircraft. There's no wing to fuselage gap to fill here, any gap is a real gap. The big decals have been blended in a bit just to tone them down, the final varnish coat should pull it all together.
16.JPG
Right, another coffee, then fish tank duties, then I might get a chance to put this little lot together.

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Ahh PC10 - the arguments I've read over what it actually was!!!!
All I can say on the subject is from a book, where a dawn patrol of SE5As was described as being 'chocolate brown'. If you can get hold of the book, 'Sagittarius Rising' By Cecil Lewis, it's the autobiography of a WWI RFC pilot - very good read indeed
Dave

Steven000

WWII and nuts.
SMF Supporter
First Name
Steven
Looks very good to me Colin :thumb2:
Lovely 'roadkill' picture in the end :smiling5:

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi Colin, reminds me of a die cast kit ready for final assembly. Nice way of putting it together like the real thing gaps and all.

Cheers,
Richard

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Ahh PC10 - the arguments I've read over what it actually was!!!!
All I can say on the subject is from a book, where a dawn patrol of SE5As was described as being 'chocolate brown'. If you can get hold of the book, 'Sagittarius Rising' By Cecil Lewis, it's the autobiography of a WWI RFC pilot - very good read indeed
Dave
Thanks for the info Dave. I'll have a look for the book. But, when one colour is identified, another person will come up with the other. Peter Jackson, offers two colours for his model Dolphin, described as PC10 - greenish or PC10 - Brownish. He, not only produces amazing WW1 models, but also flying replicas, so we could assume, as he offers two choices, even he, couldn't find a definitive answer. My own unqualified view is, it was more than one shade. Back in those days, quality control didn't really exist, and it was a protective coating, so something had to be applied, perhaps, just whatever was available at the time. Maybe a limited stock of PC 10 was diluted with something else, just to make it go further and cover more aircraft, hence the variance in shade. Essentially, I guess, we'll never really know.

Last edited:

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
The quality, stability & consistency of materials must play a huge part, deterioration due to UV light, rain would have meant no two aircraft would have looked alike. If you add to that the effect of the oil used on rotary engines ( a total loss system ) then anyone who can mix the definitive PC10 is deluding themselves!
Dave

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Colin
All looking very neat and sorted. These WW1 planes certainly are constructed in a different way - all parts completed and then brought together. As for colours - a mine field :confused:
anyone who can mix the definitive PC10 is deluding themselves!
... that applies to many military colours I think.
Jim

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
I don't know if dope can be called paint as that was the material they used to coat the fabrique on these planes...or is that a method?

Cheers,
Richard