Colin m's 1:72 Airfix Kamov Ka25A/C

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Well Cosford came and went and along with it was the £5.00 challenge. As an aircraft builder I wanted to step out of my comfort zone and try a bit of armour. So I bought this.
OK, some of you might have noticed it isn't anything armour related, true, but it is a sort of helicopter I think.
The price was verified by Tony, Ian and Neil. I wonder if I should of haggled...……...anyway.

A fair bit of white plastic. A bit offensive to the eyes. I might just prime everything. And as for the 'glass' bits, sturdy is the politest thing I can say about these.

Nicely drooped blades I thought. No, I realised they are just warped.

Sergei, Yuri and Mykolaiv all seem to be wearing turbans !

And the vintage for this fine old kit, 1983, a mere 36 years old.

Right, I'm off to research Russian helicopter pilot's.

Attachments

• IMG_3014.JPG
    IMG_3014.JPG
    74.5 KB · Views: 0

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Colin, it looks like a challenge, but I'm sure you'll handle it. Are those booties on the landing gear??? Never seen that before...….

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Colin, it looks like a challenge, but I'm sure you'll handle it. Are those booties on the landing gear??? Never seen that before...….
They look a bit like floats, but surely to small to support a helicopter ? Anyone got any ideas ?

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Apparently colin the undercarriage was fitted with emergency rapid inflation flotation bags , i imagine these would be triggered by immersion in water. In most pics these arent fitted though so its up to you whether to use them or not. Always liked the look of these choppers , kind of looks like the designers started with a van and then nailed on bits to turn it into a helicopter. Cheers tony

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
I've done a bit. Sergei and his mates cleaned up quite nicely, a bit of primer made all the difference.

All you figure painting chaps and ladies should look away now. So after a bit of work they ended looking like this. I'm not going to bother tarting up the inside as I doubt much will be seen through the windows. So these comrades just about represent the interior.

This is what the rotor blades attach to. There's probably a really good technical name for it.
At this point I was quite happy I had found some instructions on the web for this model.

And finally for this update. The fuselage halves have just been stuck together. There was no point using Tamiya thin glue here, as it would have nothing to attach itself too - it's a bit 'gappy' So, out with the old thick Humbrol. I'll leave this to set overnight, hopefully, it has filled a few gaps for me.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Colin
Looks an ok kit. Nothing wrong with those figures. For £3.99 I reckon you have a bargain.
Jim

Steven000

WWII and nuts.
SMF Supporter
First Name
Steven
Figures look much better indeed, looking forward to the rest of your build.
Cheers
Steven

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Not much to update, with weather like this it nearly seems criminal to be inside. However, there's been some small progress. The fuselage is together and the old routing of filling / sanding has begun.
Unfortunately, I missed the bit in the instructions about needing ballast in the 'Radome' So I had to chop some lead up really small and drop it behind the IP, into a hole in the floor, which allowed access to the radome. 5g of lead later, the nose is suitably heavy.
A test fit of the screen shows a bit of a gap along the front joint, but hey, old school Airfix, such is life. The doors, however, don't really fit. Much fettling will be required, and of course, as I decided to have a sparse cockpit, the doors will have to be closed.

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Managed a bit more. The 'glass' took quite a bit of fettling to get an acceptable fit, but here it is done.

Followed by a splodge of primer which of course, showed up all the problems around the hugely thick nose mounted antenna. So I cut it off.

I also made a start on the rotors. Most of the blades were warped - in the wrong direction, how unlucky. Time for a bit of hot water.

And just for fun, a test fit of the 'strange' rotor assembly.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Well two things going for this, 1 it was cheap, 2 Russian ,say no more .
Dzhon .

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Thanks for stopping by chaps.
So, a bit more progress. After painting the white, it had a day or so to dry and then masked for the red. Which was a real pain. I build aircraft, with nice smooth fuselages, I'm not used to all these lumps and bumps protruding right where I need to run some tape. So, after establishing my initial demarcation between the white and where the red was going, I resorted to cling film. As you can see, it catches the overspray quite nicely.

Unmasked and time for some spare decals. The number is quite fictitious, no point looking it up. This was the quickest decal job I have ever done. I think this picture is after the satin coat, so it's now ready for weathering. I like this bit.