Colin M's 1:72 Hasegawa Sea Harrier FRS Mk1

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
I'm in and here it is. I've never built a Hasegawa kit and even this old one looks nice. Fine recessed panel lines, generally a good level of detail. I was thinking about building it in flight, but that's not a kit option. However, you do get an access ladder, so that might get used instead.

The box.

View attachment 79405

And the Sprues.

View attachment 79406

The canopy (not shown here) even has the 'explosive wire thing' moulded into the top of it. Not sure I'll be highlighting that in this scale, unless of course, you know how.

Two schemes are offered, I'm going for the original grey over white, rather than the operational single colour scheme. These are the colours I remember when I built a Matchbox Shar many many years ago.

Anyway, weather is great, time to get back into the garden.

Colin M..

The Box.jpg

Sprues.jpg

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Awesome Colin, this should be a good one. Lucky they moudled the Miniature Detobation Chord into the canopy for you, I'm pondering whether I bother with it in my GR.3 or not. If the MDC is recessed into the inside of the canopy then you can 'fill' the recessed lines with the appropriate colour using a wash or something like that. It will flow into the gaps and you can wipe away the excess. I've seen it done on the Airfix Hawk but haven't had the opportunity to try it myself yet.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Nice kit Colin , the grey/white sceme always looks very neat . Personally I would just leave the MDC on the canopy as it is, theyre only just noticeable on photos of the real thing so the moulding should be visible enough without highlighting or painting it. cheers tony

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Ah now then. I like the idea of leaving it alone Tony, but It can't hurt just to try a simple water based wash as Joe suggest, then if it doesn't work, off with it and back to plan A.

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Firstly if this goes wrong, forgive me, I'm typing from my phone.

View attachment 80172

If the pic has appeared, it shows quite a bare cockpit. I'll stick a few little bits in to break it up a bit.

View attachment 80173

Some time later the tub nears completion, the pilot just needs a harness.

View attachment 80174

Looks like I forgot the harness !

View attachment 80175

The fuselage needs a bit of work. It doesn't line up hence the spreader bar to stretch the fues' wider.

I'll hopefully get a bit more done tonight.

I forgot to mention, the pilot is moulded with a separate right arm, nice touch I thought.

IMG_20140325_203741125.jpg

IMG_20140331_213336052.jpg

IMG_20140331_220525966.jpg

IMG_20140328_204311526.jpg

First Name
Dave
Looks a nice kit Colin.The MDC on the 1/48 Revell Harrier I'm building is provided as a decal.When I worked on Tornado's many moons ago, this miniature detonating cord was light grey in colour and approximately 8mm diameter.Im assuming it's the same on the Harrier.So in 1/72 scale it would appear as a very thin line.Hopefully your wash should do the trick.

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Good start Colin, your pilot looks very good.

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Modern pilots Joe, a bit new to me. Anyway following on from your advice about the air intakes. I've done this

View attachment 80295

I've hollowed out the fuselage and then filed the 'slots' to create the gap.

View attachment 80296

This is what it would look like without the modifications. It's OK but it doesn't take much work to improve things.

IMG_20140403_212544499.jpg

IMG_20140403_212606090.jpg

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Nice work Colin. I made flaps for the vents too out of card. Must update my build thread. Yours is looking good so far.

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
So, it's been a while since I managed any update to my SHAR. Strange things like a family holiday got in the way. But anyway, I've moved on just a bit.

View attachment 81477

View attachment 81478

The general fit of the pieces up to now can only be described as ok. I expected more of my first Hasegawa kit, but then again, it is an old one.

So, the observant might be wondering why has the fool primered the model, before attaching the cockpit. Well it's just because I'm doing the old two tone scheme of gray over white, and the white runs in side the air intake which might mean some tricky masking and spraying, hence most of the paint will be applied before connecting things up. Sure the paint will need touching up but hopefully shouldn't be too difficult.

For the Cosford boys, all built so far with my new watery liquid glue -nice stuff.

Primer 1.jpg

Primer 2.jpg

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
\ said:
Looking good Colin.Ive lost interest in mine.
Strange thing is Dave, I'm not that interested in this one either. I think it's just because I'm so busy outside in the garden.

Z

Ziper_it

Looks good for now.

Interesting process, looking for more.

Francesco

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Well under way now Colin, nice clean work so far mate.

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
Looks good work Colin, the painting scheme does like a tricky one but I am sure your will pull it off.

Si:smiling3:

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Thanks for looking in Gentlemen. So, what happened today. Well I spent 6 hours in the greenhouse potting on - but that's not what you want to hear about, so:

Here's was the SHAR ready to connect the cockpit and fuselage up.

View attachment 81552

And then, success. With only a tiny bit of filler and sanding required. Things should be a bit easier on the painting front now.

View attachment 81553

Ready to join 2.jpg

Joined.jpg

L

Laurie

Looking Colin. See that Hawsaga put in the air vents on the inlets. Amazing on the Tamiya 1/48 they just had a mark on the plastic. This is a nice aircraft it is just enjoyable to build. It is just amazing how much they managed to get into such a small frame. A great feat of engineering and imagination. Often study mine on the shelf and marvel even with out the omitted inlets.

Laurie

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Looks great Colin. Laurie, Colin opened up the vents himself.