Colin M's 1:76 Matchbox A-34 Mk 1 Comet

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Good on you to take on armour for Simon's tribute build Colin. It's looking good...it shows that if you're a modeler anything is possible.

I can see the sag in the tree branches...one remedy if you want to attempt it is to needle and thread the glued leaf bushes and tie them up. Add some more leaves to cover the thread and it will hold its position.
Another trick amour guys do for hiding track attachments is to position the link behind mud guards. In your case the groundwork will hide that.
Really looks good and can be mistaken for a 1/35 build.
I hope you venture more with armour when you want a little bit of terra firma in between flying builds. :smiling2:

Cheers,
Richard

Reactions: JR

Graeme C.

SMF Supporter
First Name
Graeme
That's a cracking little tank Colin, the comet is a favourite of mine.

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
hiding track attachments is to position the link behind mud guards.
Nice idea Richard, but as you guessed, they would be hiding in the mud. And the tree, well it's more of a bush now :smiling5: Lesson learnt, I'll use copper next time.
Love the original Matchbox kit
I like them quite a bit. I've built a few old aircraft kits and always liked them.
thanks for naming it after me!!
No worry, usual fee applies.
Wow this takes me back Colin.I loved Matchbox as a youngster
Me too. I think it was a combination of colourful boxes and that funny clear panel on some of the boxes.

Finished. Tiny tank was completed yesterday, today, the diorama. Or is it a vignette ? does it need to be a certain size for a dio' I don't know.

14.JPG

15.JPG

16.JPG

17.JPG

18.JPG

Well, I've more than dabbled in armour world, I've got a feeling, I might be back sometime in the future.

D

Deleted member 5496

Very nice indeed Colin. Lovely delicate touch on the effects.

St Andrew a Scottish tank crew perhaps ?

Love the tree a very piece of imaginative artistic work.

Laurie

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Hope you do Colin, a great build, when I first saw the photos It looked like 1/35 .Well done .

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
when I first saw the photos It looked like 1/35
Thanks John. A lot of the weathering tips I watched on youtube were for 1:35 scale, so I couldn't fully make them work in 1:76. There's only one solution to this problem, I'm going to need a bigger tank.

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Colin

Looking very, very good indeed. Certainly takes me back to my youf when I built a couple of these as a kid.

There's a YouTube channel by a chap called Martin Kovac aka Knight Shift. Whilst he does a lot of 1/35, he also does a smattering of 1/72.

ATB

Andrew

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Colin
I would call that an all round success. You've made a fine job of this and Simon would have appreciated getting a fine result from such an old and cheap kit.
Jim

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Very nice result Colin.
Great composition, but be very careful, dios. can be addictive.

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Thanks everyone for having a look and the positive comments. I might have overdone the weathering, but then again, that's what I used to do when I started out in aircraft production. Although, I might blame a bit of it's appearance on macro photography.

Martin Kovac aka Knight Shift
Thanks Andrew, and yes, it was him I mainly watched, he does the funny voice effects, but a very talented 'weatherer' - I made a word up.

Graeme C.

SMF Supporter
First Name
Graeme
Great result Colin, it looks good on the diorama.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Top job colin , i love a good old matchbox . Nice greenery too , cheers tony

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Thanks everyone for having a look and the positive comments. I might have overdone the weathering, but then again, that's what I used to do when I started out in aircraft production. Although, I might blame a bit of it's appearance on macro photography.

Thanks Andrew, and yes, it was him I mainly watched, he does the funny voice effects, but a very talented 'weatherer' - I made a word up.
I do like him - it's his self deprecating sense of humour I like and the admission that he doesn't know it all and is still learning!

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
Nice work Colin, the comet looks really good in its scene....very nice :thumb2:

Fernando N

Aviation fan and the Roadrunner, meep meep!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Fernando
Lovely little dio Colin, neat having the Comet surrounded by all the greens:thumb2::thumb2: