Colin M's BF110 , Eduard 1:72

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
OK, well I don't actually have my grubby little mits on the kit as yet, but it is winging its way to me. Well I hope so.
I did try to look for something Italian, but finding a kit was proving difficult then I came across this.

s-l500.jpg

What caught my attention was, one of the options included in this kit is for a Bf110, shot down during the Battle of Britain. Here is 2N AP having just been shot down by a Spitfire from 602 squadron. Both occupants of the 110 were captured unhurt.

Capture.JPG

And below is Eduard's offering. The paint looks interesting.
2N AP.JPG

Well, sit and wait now. Hang on, I've got a Chipmunk to finish...……...

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
I love Eduard - detailed kits with precise parts. Love a Bf 110 too so I’ll be watching this one. I like that both C and D versions can be built from the same kit (don’t always get that in the bigger scales).
The scheme you’ve chosen looks interesting too, mottling in 1/72 is not the easiest of tasks but I’m sure you’re more than up to the task.
Good luck with the build
Paul

KarlW

Mediocre modeller extraodinaire.
SMF Supporter
First Name
Karl
I nearly bought a 1/48 one of these from Eduard to participate in this GB, but too much going on already. Might still just buy one though, just in case........

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Well, fashionably late, yet again. Finally, I've made a start.

Below is just an example of the nice surface detail provided by Eduard.
1.JPG

I've stuck a few bits together. I'm trying to prime as many bits as possible in one sitting as I find cleaning Ab's a bit boring.
2.JPG

Primed and painted.
3.JPG

The little 1:72 cockpit scrubs up nicely. Photo etch all provided in the kit. I haven't gone mad on the detail and weathering. It's 1:72, even with a large canopy, at this scale, not much will be obvious.
4.JPG

The fuselage is now all sealed up and what a nice fit it is.
IMG_0711.JPG

I've actually got a bit of leave coming up so I might actually, get a bit more done. No promises though.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Nice choice. I think you've already found the only photograph of the aircraft lying in a Sussex field.

The pilot, Obltn Urban Schlaffer was Staffelkapitan, of 9./ZG 76. His wireless operator/gunner was Ogefr Franz Obser.

dave

SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
good start, glad your doing 2N AP, as i am planning MC A8, i chickened out and went for the "standard" splinter camouflage

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
good start, glad your doing 2N AP, as i am planning MC A8, i chickened out and went for the "standard" splinter camouflage

That would have a shark mouth to deal with though :smiling3:

I've got some photos of this aircraft after it came down on Little Butts Farm... somewhere.

dave

SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
That would have a shark mouth to deal with though :smiling3:

I've got some photos of this aircraft after it came down on Little Butts Farm... somewhere.
That Is the hitch in my plan, I have the photo, will no will butt out of Colins thread

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
I think you've already found the only photograph of the aircraft lying in a Sussex field
Yes, but I'm a little confused. The upper surfaces appear to be quite light, almost faded. Not that I know much about German aircraft, but I'm only familiar with the Dark green type of upper surface camouflage.

There's a bit of a problem with 2N AP. I can't get any MRP, everywhere is out of stock, so it looks like I'll be resorting to acrylics. Not the best for mottling in this scale.

Well, I've stuck a few more bits together. It's a nicely fitting kit. But like most good kits, any paint on mating surfaces can cause problems.

6.JPG

I've never built a 110 before, not even in round 1, as a lad. But I do think the 110 has nice sleek look about it. I think I might be having a look at a larger scale in the future.
7.JPG

Next, I'll tackle the greenhouse. I don't think there's any advantage to 'kleering' the canopy parts, the picture might not show it, but they are just about perfect - nice job Eduard.
So, masking this little lot - not to worry, it's a profi-pack, so Eduard include pre cut masks - a very nice and very welcome touch.
8.JPG

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
What colours do the instructions reckon this aircraft was in?

I would suspect an RLM 71/02 splinter scheme and the undersides definitely in RLM 65. There is clearly some heavy mottling applied to the sides to tone them down, probably in RLM 02 as well. I've seen models done in RLM 74/75, or something that looks a lot like that, but it seems very early for that to be the case.

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
What colours do the instructions reckon this aircraft was in?

I would suspect an RLM 71/02 splinter scheme and the undersides definitely in RLM 65. There is clearly some heavy mottling applied to the sides to tone them down, probably in RLM 02 as well. I've seen models done in RLM 74/75, or something that looks a lot like that, but it seems very early for that to be the case.
Spot on Steve. I know I shouldn't be swayed by the painting plan provided by Eduard, but the upper surfaces look very faded. I think the problem is RLM02 looks quite 'Grey' in the instructions, but actually, it's green in reality.

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
At last a wet Sunday. I needed this day, no gardening (ours or the daughters) no washing cars, errr, no, nothing, except a chance to get to the bench a do a bit.

Although, I haven't been idle these last few days. We built a new BBQ area complete with lights etc. So the below is where we now spend most of our time on nice evenings.
image2.jpeg

Anyway, the distraction is out of the way and the 110 has had some attention. All ready for primer, complete with a few photo etch aerials.
9.JPG

This might be a bit different. I'm using light grey primer underneath, and black on top.
11.JPG

12.JPG
Why ? Well, the underside is a very light blue, but the upper surfaces are darker. So I just thought I have a go.

A touch of blue. The picture doesn't show it but the finish is a bit patchy in places, just the effect I was after.
14.JPG

Quite where the mottling starts isn't so clear. I imagine as we're talking mottling, there must be great scope for a bit of artistic license.
15.JPG

Well, that coat has had about 30 minutes to dry, I might as well crack on.

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Beautiful mottling. The 110 looks fabulous. And I understand today is something of a special anniversary for this bird. Shot down on this day in 1940.
Garden looks nice BTW!

Cheers
Paul

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Whilst I‘m here...
Sorry Colin, I was going to join the GB with a Trumpeter 1/24 Hurricane and Bader figure. Unfortunately my Panther build ran over so I just ran out of time. Great thread though and I’m enjoying the diary.
Cheers
P

Last edited:

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Whilst I‘m here...
Sorry Colin, I was going to join the GB with a Trumpeter 1/24 Hurricane and Badger figure. Unfortunately my Panther build ran over so I just ran out of time. Great thread though and I’m enjoying the diary.
Cheers
P
That's a shame Paul, that Hurricane would have been quite a build to follow.
I’m enjoying the diary.
The diary exceeded all my hopes. Steve and Alan have been amazing with their input. It's a fascinating read.

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Another slightly wet day which means a lot more progress. I'll get a gloss coat on tonight and then maybe even decals tomorrow. I might be in for a finish by the weekend.

Paints by MRP. I thought I would have to fall back to the Vallejo, but as I've taken so long to get this far, the MRP was back in stock. Trying to work out the scheme from Eduard's instructions was nearly impossible, so here's my interpretation ! At this stage, I'm not sure if I need to introduce a bit more blue to the sides of the fuselage. I'll probably wait until the decals are on, then decide.
16.JPG

17.JPG