Colin M's Bristol F.2b Fighter. 1/32 wingnut wings

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Terrific work on the oil dots Colin. It really has taken the build to the next level. Did the rigging come with the kit or are you using something of your own?

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Terrific work on the oil dots Colin. It really has taken the build to the next level. Did the rigging come with the kit or are you using something of your own?
Thanks Steve. Oil is still a bit new to me but I like its flexibility. As for the rigging, you provide your own. I'll be using two types of fishing line and maybe some EZ line.

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Thanks everyone for stoping by. Finally a bit of an update. The fuselage control lines are complete. Main rigging is attached to the upper wing. This is not how I would normally rig an aircraft, but for this build each line will be individual, hence this method.

Engine bay rigging completed, just one loose one to tighten up a bit later.

Front rigging.JPG

Interior.JPG

The interior. I haven't seen this in ages.
Interior.JPG

Port side double control lines all in place.
Port control lines.JPG

Stbd all done.
STBD control lines.JPG

Main rigging attached to the upper wing. What a job that was.
Upper wing rigging.JPG

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
This is going great, really nice work. Loving the rigging and build pictures. It’s almost like your building a real one...

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Colin
I seem to have missed a bit so just caught up. Stunning stuff in every respect. The build itself, the painting, the oil weathering and now the rigging - all exceptionally well done. Even Wingnut Wings are only as good as the modeller.

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Thanks for looking in Gentlemen.

Standby to Rig.

Stand by to rig.JPG

All the main rigging wires were attached to the upper wing before the wing was attached to the struts. Alignment wasn't bad. The struts fit very positively to the lower wing. However, lining these up and the cabane struts at the same time proved a bit too much. Not being Mr Octopus man, I pushed the cabane struts out of the way, fixing them later once a lot of the rigging had been completed.
I tried to rig the model evenly. Whatever line was connected on the port side was then repeated on the stbd side, just to make sure the alignment wasn't upset. At this stage, things are very wobbly.
Then after far more hours than I can remember, finally all rigging was finished. Well, except for two which will be secured after the engine has been fitted.
Rigging 1.JPG

Rigging 2.JPG

Rigging 3.JPG

I can see one wire is a bit loose, I'll adjust that later, but apart from a couple of small control wires, rigging complete. And thank heavens for that ! I think I'll be a jet next.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Superb work colin , the rigging looks amazing! Its looking beautiful , cheers tony

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
the rigging looks amazing!
Thanks Tony, I think I'm all rigged out....

It has an engine. It looks a bit more aircraft like now. I've reached quite a nice part of the build now. The part were you just keep adding bits and sub assemblies, then all of a sudden, you're done.

Engine fitted.JPG

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
you deserve a drink after that rigging.
Well it is Friday. No work tomorrow (yet) so maybe. The hard bit was, every wire is individual, no doubling up through a rigging eye, each piece separately cut, tensioned, glued. To restore sanity, I think I'll build a Bell x-15 next.

First Name
Dave
Great work Colin. You should enter it into a competition when it’s finished.Looks like a show winner to me.