Colin M's Matchbox Mercedes SSKL 1:32

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Well, ok I like to say fashionably late, to the GB. Now summer is over, I have a bit of spare time and so thought, why not. I love a bit of old Matchbox. The thing is I'm an aircraft builder. I build aircraft, that's what I like, so here's a car. Something I normally avoid like the plague.
The chosen subject looks a bit like this.
1.JPG
And in true Matchbox style, the plastic is in three colours, yes three.
2.JPG

Rubber tyres, luxury - no masking of wheels for me during this build.
3.JPG

The clear parts will need a good polish.
4.JPG

I started by drilling out the 'light weight' modifications to this race car.
5.JPG
I've already defaced the chrome with a bath in bleach, it's black underneath. So, I stuck a few bits together.
6.JPG

A spot of primer and the chassis scrubs up quite nicely for an old dear.
7.JPG

After a bit of thought and playing around with bit and pieces, it seems to me that I'll have to approach building this thing, devoid of wings, in a different way.
Just about everything will be painted, then assembled. That might work.

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
did this one a few years ago, a nice kit as i remember

mrtintheweb

mrtinthweb
First Name
Toby
Not often you get a chrome sprue in a kit, though some of the moulding leaves me wondering how it will look once fettled to fit?
T

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
Brings back memories - don't think I did this one though. Do remember doing the Jag SS100

Black for the chrome sprue is a sensible colour at least - one I stripped years ago left it as a translucent green which was horrible to work with

Nice improvement with the cross drilled chassis rails

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Those Matchbox kits bring back memories! - My favourite was the Auto-Union - I had a look recently, to see if I could get one, for nostalgias sake - WOW, a real collectors item, going for high prices..............
Dave

peterairfix

SMF Supporter
First Name
peter
I never built a matchbox car so I think I you just persuade me to go hunt one down

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
did this one a few years ago, a nice kit as i remember
It's quite good, not much detail, but a good fit.
Not often you get a chrome sprue in a kit
I think Matchbox liked the stuff.
Do remember doing the Jag SS100
I think I've got the bug for these kits. I wouldn't mind one of those Jaguars.
going for high prices
Some prices are just silly. They are nice little kits, but nearly £50.00 is daft. Including postage, I think this cost £7.95 - missing decals.
I think I you just persuade me to go hunt one down
From building this one so far, they do appear to be hassle free builds. I'm definitely interested in another one or two.

So, progress has been made. I've been learning how to build a car. It seems I've removed, prepared and painted all parts ready for assembly. A bit like the real thing on a production line.
Plastic chrome removed, primed, gloss black, then Alclad chrome - and I'm back where I started.
9.JPG
A test fit of the body, all looks very nice. Looks like I built a properly aligned chassis.
10.JPG

I do like a bit of Alclad.
11.JPG
Then it was time to flatten the primer ready for the top coat. Now then. This car is white. But, modern white just seems too white, too clinical. There are some incredibly expensive models of this car for sale, so expensive, I like to think they done their homework and got every detail correct. Well, these models aren't white. They're a definite 'off white' I'll have to experiment.

12.JPG

Attachments

• Exhaust and interior.JPG
    Exhaust and interior.JPG
    99.7 KB · Views: 10

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Colin,
I agree, pure white is too stark - I've found that Vallejo Ivory just has that faint creamy touch, which takes the edge off
Dave

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
What colour does Matchbox recommend? I have a feeling it’ll be Humbrol 41 :smiling3:

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
You could try this one.....
The colour is the E type third back on the right....they probably do the BMC colour old English white as well.....

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
What colour does Matchbox recommend?
H22, gloss white. It just doesn't seem right.
You could try this one.....
Thanks for the suggestion Tim. If I go into cars in a bigger way (remembering I'm an aircraft person) I'll have a proper look at that site, right now, I'm keeping things cheap, so probably going to end up mixing my own.

So, today was a three tank Sunday. No, nothing to do with armour, just three aquariums to clean out. With that little job and four hours of my life quietly disposed of, I managed to photograph last nights work on the Mercedes. The colour still looks a bit white in the picture, but in real life it's not too bad.
13.JPG

Now, I'll flatten that paint down and re-spray. I think that's what the professionals do !

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
H22, gloss white. It just doesn't seem right.
Odd, it’s clearly not pure white in the boxtops illustration. Then again, this kit is not from the era of exact colour matches :smiling3:

D

Deleted member 7181

Now, I'll flatten that paint down and re-spray. I think that's what the professionals do !
If I find one I'll ask for you :smiling5:

Show cars tend to get what we call flow-coated. A first round of colour and clearcoat (~varnish), which get sanded smooth before a couple of over-thinned coats of clear, which flow out like glass (or onto the floor if you get carried away lol). A bit unrealistic for a regular road car which will always have a bit of texture in the paint, but looks great at a show.

It might just be the picture like you say, but from here that colour looks like it's crying out for a smidge of yellow oxide to bring out the cream tone. Modern ivory colours also have a touch of red oxide in them to counteract the slightly green tinge present in earlier versions, but looking at the box art and the picture Tim posted, that wouldn't be appropriate here.

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
which flow out like glass
Thanks for your input Andy. Now I'm lucky here, I'm quit sure old cars didn't really shine too much. Even when I got am MG sprayed some years ago, the chap suggested using cellulose (even though it wasn't in common use in those days, but he could still get some) because it didn't shine like modern 2 pack paints. Good point I thought. A rally shiny 1972 car wasn't quite right.
crying out for a smidge of yellow oxide to bring out the cream tone
Yes, that's basically what I've done. I'm using MRP paints and have a very pale yellow mixed with 'shocking in your face white'. But still, I don't think the pictures will show it properly.

As summer is on hold again, I've had quite a bit of time at the bench today. The dash. I did fancy a nice wood dash, but being a racer, it probably had an aluminium dash board (I really am trying hard not to type instrument panel) Now don't look too hard at the dash, it was all created with a huge dollop of artistic license. Anyway, if you look closely, you'll see things like 'altitude' and 'slip' oh yes, and a compass. Alright, I've used decals from a 1:32 aircraft.
14.JPG
Now everything is painted, the build is flying along - another reference to aircraft - I'm still not in car world yet.
15.JPG

So, my off white body is slightly visible in this shot, unfortunately, the chassis seems to be a lighter shade, even though they were painted at the same time.
16.JPG

And this is were I'm stopping for the night. That radiator needs a bit of time to set in its position. So far, I'm more than happy with the fit of things.
17.JPG

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
This is looking superb colin , especially considering its 1/32 , cheers tony

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Moving on, just a touch. I'm at the nice bit now, sticking on all the bits. Right now, the Mercedes is wedged in place as the remaining three mud guards set in place. I sort of regret fitting the mud guards, firstly, they are a bit of a pain to align, secondly, as a race car, I think it looked so much better without them. Unfortunately, it does mean, I can do no more tonight.
18.JPG

Fernando N

Aviation fan and the Roadrunner, meep meep!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Fernando
Looking very good for a wingy tackling something mostly groundbased, surely doing the old kit justice:hungry::thumb2::thumb2: