Colin M's Revell 1:32 Supermarine Seafire Mk 1b

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Well then, a little late to the bash, but I haven't been idle. No indeed not. Most of my bench time has been spent removing copious amount of extra plastic kindly provided for me by Revell. Although, to be fair to Revell, this mold started life back in 1967.
The offending article.
IMG_1465.JPG

And the sprue ? Well, it's more a bag of bits.
IMG_1462.JPG

The below is actually a sprue with parts attached. This is how I've been spending most of my bench time, slowly carving and whittling at the plastic. Every part needs cleaning.
IMG_1469.JPG

Now the pilot, isn't too bad. As the cockpit is so sparse, I'll be squeezing the pilot into action.
IMG_1467.JPG

So gentlemen, please meet, generic Geoff. Figures are not something I paint much at all, but Geoff here, has an important job to do, making the 'pit look reasonable.
Reasonable, that's a good word. that's what this build is going to be, reasonable.
IMG_1484.JPG

Oh, repair required here. No, I've searched the box, it's actually gone. The propeller tip has departed.
IMG_1472.JPG

Luckily, Revell provided me with loads of spare plastic.
IMG_1478.JPG

After a bit of work, it's repaired. It's not perfect, but I fear if I sand anymore, it will drop off.
IMG_1483.JPG

Have a look at my exhaust stubs, nice aren't they !
IMG_1473.JPG

I'm only using the engine to hang the prop' and exhausts from, however, there's no positive location for the engine.
IMG_1481.JPG

I've read before of models that are 'un-buildable' (I made a word up there) This, I believe might be one of them. The thing is, I didn't really want this model, it was part of a job lot, so it did nearly go in the bin. Then i thought, wait, we're modelers, this is what we do. Yes it's nice to have a kit that's easy to assemble, it really is. But once in a while, a return to basic modelling skills can't be a bad thing, can it ?

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Wow Colin, looks like a bit of work in your future on this one. From the pic, it looks like the propeller tip wasn't molded correctly. Good job fixing it too. I think you will have fun here and maybe learn a few new bad words building it. Swear jar at the ready????

Prost
Allen

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Think of all the filler you can make out of all the trimming and sanding leftovers!

I bet you beat it into shape regardless.

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
learn a few new bad words building it
Learn - I'm past that stage. I'm now inventing my own.
Wow !more sanding than a beach towel, :smiling5:
And I haven't even started on the fuselage yet.
Think of all the filler you can make out of all the trimming and sanding leftovers
Or put it another way. A permament reminder of the scraping and sanding.
whip this into shape.
As long as that shape is a Seafire sort of thing...

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Generic Geoff the pilot is done. With just a bit of dry brushing and a splash of oil paints to stop him looking so clean cut, all finished with a bit of mat varnish. He's a chunky chap. I did have a test to see if I could add him to the pit after joining up the fuselage halves - no chance. But at least he fills the cockpit up nicely.

IMG_1490.JPG

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
That’s a challenge right there, but you are already winning Colin. Generic looks pretty good and will more than fulfil his role :thumb2: Is this going to be wheels up, or on the ground?

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Coming on nicely Colin, despite the free additional plastic.

Geoff has turned it very nicely indeed!

Good luck with the rest of the build.....it looks like it might be 'fun'!!!

ATB.

Andrew

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Is this going to be wheels up, or on the ground?
A good question. A this model is lacking in, well anything really, I though I might go wheels up. Stona does a trick here he just uses the spinner and no prop' blades to give the impression of flight. OK I spent quite some time fixing my prop' oh well, in flight does sound appealing.
Good luck with the rest of the build.....it looks like it might be 'fun'!!!
Tonight it will be fuselage and wings. Yes, the fun will really start tonight.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Colin
Rather a challenging kit :rolling: But you're already taming the beast. Geoff looks rather good and will fill the cockpit nicely. In flight sounds good.
Jim

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Top work colin , theres some satisfaction to be had bashing an old clunker like this into shape . The in flight idea sounds good , Geoff filling up the cockpit and the dodgy undercarriage not needed .If i recall correctly ,this was a rebox of their 1967 tooled mk1 spit with a few added bits . I built the spitfire as a kid and remember it having working undercarriage!

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Top work colin , theres some satisfaction to be had bashing an old clunker like this into shape . The in flight idea sounds good , Geoff filling up the cockpit and the dodgy undercarriage not needed .If i recall correctly ,this was a rebox of their 1967 tooled mk1 spit with a few added bits . I built the spitfire as a kid and remember it having working undercarriage!
This is that very kit Tony.Yes, the undercarriage is designed to work. The funny thing is though, there's obviously not enough room in the wings to stow the wheels, so Revell got around that by making them really thin. That's one less problem to deal with if I go flying mode.

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Well, just over a month on, and here’s where we are. There are a couple of seams that could use a bit more work, but this thing has sucked enough life force out of me, I think I’ll live with them.
The sky underside was painted yesterday and tonight will be the first part of the camouflage.
Right, I’m going in.
56C9D733-11F4-4357-8BDB-1B08E2152E47.jpeg

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Well I keep chipping away at this one, but seem to forget to update this thread.
The Seafire is all painted, decaled and I’m now starting a bit of weathering. From what I’ve seen on line, these could be quite tatty aircraft. Now that surprised me.
B50DF154-DF93-4AE7-9AE6-C8A9D1CFB567.jpeg