Colin M's Trumpeter 1:72 Chinook

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Predictably, well for me anyway, as it's my favourite jet aircraft. I nearly went down the Harrier route, but managed to resist all temptation and went with the one and only, the very famous Chinook, Bravo November.

The model I'm using isn't quite correct, but it looks like it just needs a few antennas tweaking and a winch adding. Then a raid on my spare decals an I think it will be there.

1641211427397.png

therapy

SMF Supporter
First Name
Nick
Is that the one where they claim part of the airframe is still in service Colin?

Nick

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Is that the one where they claim part of the airframe is still in service Colin?

Nick
You've just reminded me Nick, I'm nearly sure this conversation popped up recently on here, well within a few months anyway. And typically, I can't remember the answer, although I think it's still flying, after a few upgrades. Needless to say, this is one very impressive aircraft, having seen service in the Falklands, Iraq and Afghanistan. Also, there were four DFC's awarded to pilots of this aircraft.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
I remember our eldest Grandson saying how he went for a flight in one while on execise and like Paul says and it was pure "magic " in what it could achieve.
Shall follow if I may.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Is that the same one that while in Iraq, the pilot take a round in the noggin, complained he spilt his tea and flew them all back to base.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Fantastic subject colin , its an amazing machine to start with but the history of this particular one makes it even more fascinating . Always loved to see the chinook display at the Waddington airshow ( remember those ?! ) , the way the pilots used to throw it around was unbelievable , made my stomach churn just watching it , one favourite trick was almost like a handbrake turn - but in a 11 tonne helicopter !!

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
HI Colin looks to be a good build but one thing always got me that i could not understand why does it have twin wheels at the front an not the back ?
chris

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Who would'a thunk landing gear on a chopper could be that complex? Thanx for splaining.

Andy the Sheep

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrea
Interesting subject. I missed Colin's first post, but I'm more than happy to follow his build.
I saw CH 47 doing wonderful things: flying along a forest road with the rotors just above the treetops thus hiding the fuselage among the trees, land troops on slopes while hovering with just the aft ramp touching the ground, loading a BV 206 S with a leeway of 3 cm on each side of the cargo bay, and it's very fast too thanks to its twin very huge rotors that allow a great push forward while keeping the rpm of the blades low thus avoiding the tips reaching the trans sonic regime (which, I was told, it's very bad for helicopters and it's one of their main limits).

Andrea

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Hi Colin
A great choice for a build. This one is very special.
Jim
My natural choice for this GB would have been a Sea Harrier, but as you say, BN is quite special.

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
I haven’t played with plastic for what seems like ages. But I think I’m getting back into it. I think that’s were 1:72 wins, things can move along quickly.
Tonight, the interior was completed, well nearly.
530A00BA-E771-4C19-B8E6-4D67F930CA39.jpeg

C9D60B6C-5E5D-4C1A-92C0-37C8156EBA0A.jpeg

6797A998-711C-4140-8F5C-165075D684F7.jpeg

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Colin
You may not have "played with plastic" for a while but you're definitely back into it. That cockpit looks great.
Jim

Reactions: JR