Colin's Battle Of Britain GB chat thread

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Never in the field of human conflict was so much owed by so many to so few.

First a big thank you to Colin for suggesting this and judging by the speed that the initial ten sign-ups came in a great idea.
As Colins mentioned in the suggestion, any subject that participated in the Battle of Britain is allowed. Be it Aircraft, Artillery, Armour, Boat, or figures.
(Susannah York included.... Please... ).
Remember please not to fill this thread with dozens of photos of what you are going to build; Open a thread and post it in there. Why? because a) it keeps this thread clean and b) more people are likely to visit your thread to see what you are doing. Which does kind of make it a nice surprise when you go in and look.
There is NO PRIZE for the longest thread title you can think of so keep it short and to the point.
If you feel that a short title is not enough, you can always add a secondary title as the first line of your post or just describe what you are doing IN the post its self.
Remember that you are to include your name in the title.
As an example: "Colins Me 109, Airfix 1/24 scale."
NOT "Baron Gustav Von Richtenhoffer's Me 109 Emile converted from a 109 G and with brass detail and resin wheels and working lights and radio."
Just Your name, the kit name, brand and scale.
Scratch build and sculpts ? just say that is what they are.
Thank you. Over to you Colin.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Great idea and a good excuse to make something classic from the period. You can count me in.
I'm not sure what I'll do, well, it will be an aeroplane, but I'm definitely in.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Well done Colin.
I haven't a clue what I'll do either.
Land, sea ,or air, who knows? Not I!

...but, like Steve I'm definitely in too.

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Great idea and a good excuse to make something classic from the period. You can count me in.
I'm not sure what I'll do, well, it will be an aeroplane, but I'm definitely in.
Good to have you around Steve. I feel I should do something classically British, but I'm not. I'm going German for this build.

I haven't a clue what I'll do either.
Lets see, Ron - water, there, Air sea rescue.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
As I want to do summat 'Off the Wall', rather than an aircraft, the Air Sea Rescue first came to my mind, but I've already built the Airfix A.S.R. Launch on here. so....

Time to open a 'Thinking Can!'

Mr Bowcat

SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
I'm in.

I have a 1/32 Spitfire built on the shelf, so maybe a Hurricane or BF-109 to go with it.

Last edited:

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Good to have you around Steve. I feel I should do something classically British, but I'm not. I'm going German for this build.

I thought of doing something unusual, but I don't keep a stash and it seems that there are lots of people ordering models during the lockdown as a couple of potential 'victims' are out of stock at all the usual outlets.

I may do something classically British. One of my other classically British models suffered some serious battle damage at the hands of a three year old recently, so I have a gap on a shelf. He turned out to be a rather agile climber, I didn't think he could reach the shelf in question :anguished:

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
I thought of doing something unusual
I tried to go down the Italian route, a bit different I thought, but models were a bit scarce, hence my German option, but even this one has a story.

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
There are probably quite a lot of other subjects that would fit - radar, Royal Observer Corps, Ops rooms etc.
I keep thinking of the opening scenes of the film (BoB) and there was a motor bike and side car, nothing special or unusual, but in a strange way, without doubt, would have been used in the BoB.

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
I already have too much the go but at the same time I have the perfect kits.....

Peter Gillson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Peter
There are probably quite a lot of other subjects that would fit - radar, Royal Observer Corps, Ops rooms etc.
Great suggestion - I hadn't thought of those. count me in for either an observer or ops room bust. Off to do some research.

Peter

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Well luckily for me Ive got the perfect subject in the stash . Sometime last year the Sunday Mail or some other newspaper ( i cant remember , i just binned it ! :smiling5: ) were giving away airfix spitfires free with the paper , a total cost of £1 , so I got one . Its the new tool mk1 in battle of britain markings and although not a kit of many parts is nicely tooled and should go together with no traumas . Just a case of waiting for the 11th now.:thumb2:

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Well luckily for me Ive got the perfect subject in the stash . Sometime last year the Sunday Mail or some other newspaper ( i cant remember , i just binned it ! :smiling5: ) were giving away airfix spitfires free with the paper , a total cost of £1 , so I got one . Its the new tool mk1 in battle of britain markings and although not a kit of many parts is nicely tooled and should go together with no traumas . Just a case of waiting for the 11th now.:thumb2:

lol......i did the same.....walked out of wh smiths, put the paper in the nearest bin (think it was the Mirror) and the kit under my arm.

i was planning on doing the same as you but i might think of something else

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
I keep thinking of the opening scenes of the film (BoB) and there was a motor bike and side car, nothing special or unusual, but in a strange way, without doubt, would have been used in the BoB.

Love that opening scene. The music score is fantastic. Also love the music for the 15th September battle scene.

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
And the Black,White and Red sentry box!