Colin's Battle Of Britain GB chat thread

dave

SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Not sure what to build, but I do have the sentry box and bits from the ICM 1/48 Bf109F with groundcrew, but it is also a good excuse to buy the Eduard Bf110c.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
And the Black,White and Red sentry box!

Clearly I need to watch the film again. The only things I can remember are Section Officer Maggie Harvey in her undies and unconvincing R/C Ju 87s crashing into Chain Home stations... And the ratat-atat-atat bit.

Cheers

Sir Larry Olivier

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
lol......i did the same.....walked out of wh smiths, put the paper in the nearest bin (think it was the Mirror) and the kit under my arm.

i was planning on doing the same as you but i might think of something else
No , like steve says you cant have too many spitfires paul ! Please dont abandon it on my account , cheers tony

D

Deleted member 6559

The music in the middle of 'Battle of Britain' is the original theme written by William Walton, which unbelievably was rejected by the producers, who gave Ron Goodwin the job of coming up with an alternative. Laurence Olivier for one was so incensed that he threatened to withdraw from the film unless it was re-instated, hence it's use for the September battles.

As for Duxford, the IWM always regretted that one of the 1WW hangars was destroyed during the making of the film. The other is a listed building now.

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
As for Duxford, the IWM always regretted that one of the 1WW hangars was destroyed during the making of the film. The other is a listed building now.
One of the tour guides at Duxford many years ago told me they were unaware that the film makers were going to destroy that hangar, they were expecting flashbangs and smoke bombs rather than demolition charges.
Pete

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Lol you all just got an extra day of building . My bad I typed the 11th as the start date .
This has now been corrected to the 10th. The bad news is now you have a day less to find a victim, I mean subject.

First Name
Drew
I’m in for this one.
I have a Hurricane sitting waiting that would be perfect but I already have plans for it so need to find something else.
I actually don’t know much about the Battle of Britain other than what I’ve just read on Wikipedia!
Research needed prior to model purchases...

Lee Drennen

Box Stock Builder with a Twist/ Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Colin. Thanks for starting this I think I’m going to chose one of my Classic “Wingy” thing for my build

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I haven't had any benchtime for quite a while ( health ), but I think that given the time frame, I might have a stab at this - I've got a 1/48 Airfix Defiant that will fit the bill.........
Dave
If it’s the new tool Dave, it goes together great, but the gun turret is a little tight.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve

I remember a scene in the film where various aircraft were blown up taking off. Is that the one in which the Duxford hangar was destroyed? That scene, or at least the Spitfires taking off through the bombing, is based on the 31st August raid on Hornchurch in which three No.54 Squadron Spitfires were destroyed as or just after they took off.

From the squadron ORB.

"The squadron was ordered off just as the first bombs were beginning to fall and eight of our machines safely cleared the ground; the remaining section, however, just became airborne as the bombs exploded. All three machines were wholly wrecked in the air. The survival of the pilots is a complete miracle. Sgt. Davis, taking off towards the hangars, was thrown back to the other side of the River Ingrebourne, two fields away, and scrambled out of his machine unscathed.

F/Lt Deere had one wing and his prop torn off; climbing to about a hundred feet he turned and, coming down, slid along the aerodrome for a hundred yards, upside down. He was saved from this unenviable position by P/O Edsall, the third member of the section, who had suffered a similar fate, except that he landed the right way up. Dashing across the aerodrome, with bombs still dropping, he extricated F/Lt Deere from his machine. "The first and last time - I hope" was the verdict of these truly amazing pilots - all of whom were ready for battle the next morning."

You literally couldn't make it up!

More seriously three men were killed on the ground and a fourth later died of wounds. Eleven more were wounded, some gravely, requiring hospitalisation (six 'seriously', two 'dangerously'). The other three were treated at the Station sick quarters.

I've got a broken Spitfire Mk.I which I might adapt to something like this, but not for the GB.

Steve

D

Deleted member 6559

Hi Steve - Yes, that's the one. Built in the First World War and survived the second, only to fall victim to the British Film Industry. I remember that during the summer the film was made, two Spanish ''109s'' and an ''HE111'' flew in formation over our house (I was 7 years old). Everyone came out into their gardens and started shaking their fists at them - still shows how recent the war seemed then.

I've ordered this for my entry:

120mm from Mitche's Military Models.

fullsizeoutput_1708-600x900.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
I've got several possibilities in the stash, including the Airfix 1-24 Hurricane, but I want to give myself a fighting chance of finishing in time, so I'm going to start with this
Tamiya Luftwaffe Pilot 1-16.jpg
If it goes well and I'm in the mood I might do this
1-72 Tamiya ME 109E-3.jpg
I watched the movie again the other day and I think it's bloody marvelous!
I'm not interested in detail nit-picking, the flying sequences alone are things of absolute beauty; and they were done almost totally for real, with ten to twenty aircraft in the air at times. I particularly like the shot where six spitfires'peel off' - Brilliant.
And let's not forget we have this film to thank for kickstarting the warbird scene in this country- I believe at the time they had assembled the world's 15th largest air force(or something like that)
AND it has Susannah York in just an a RAF shirt-what's not to like?
Tally Ho!

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi Collin, I would so much like to join in but with a track record of not finishing let alone starting even might dash any hopes. I have quite a stash to fit the build but will have to find a subject that I can spend little time on to have a chance. The on going projects aren't going to help.

I have 1/48 figures from ICM RAF Personnel that might just make it. A pilot and his dog. If it works out I may use it for a dio.

Wait, I just checked...it's two pilots discussing fighter tactics and a dog. I may have to turn its head towards the discussion.

Cheers,
Richard

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Just a little reminder for anyone who might like to take part in this group build. Just over two weeks until we start, just long enough to order that battle of Britain, build (what ever it might be) ready for July 10th.

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Gentlemen just remember the old truism, you can never have too many Spitfires!

The more the merrier.

Cheers

R. J. Mitchell

Don't know if it's just a rumour, but when Airfix first released their Spitfire kit back in the dark ages, weren't they churning out something like 500000 a year?