Colins' (CDW) Sopwith Triplane.

C

CDW

Well thank you kind sir .... at least it's clean !!, not like that mucky german rubbish you produce :smiling3: :smiling3: :smiling3:

D

dubster72

You've cleaned that flashy kit very well Colin. I like the padding for the cockpit, although with it being pink, it kinda resembles something else .... ;)

Cheers

Patrick

C

CDW

Oooh errrrrrr hmmmmm Patrick ........ it's now painted brown .. i'm not sure if thats worse :smiling3: :smiling3: :smiling3:

M

mobear

hahahahahahahah that`ll teach ya,achtung we poop on your plane,ja das ist sehr gud.

mobear

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Combining 2 hobbies in one - I like your style.

Good work on the rigging so far.

Cheers

P

T

treyzx10r

The dreaded rigging begins! That was always a reason I shied away from the string bags. You're doing a great job of it so far,looking forward to seeing more!

C

CDW

thanks mate, the only problem ive found with the rigging is that its got to be done first so the builds out of sync with the instructions. ah well, its interesting :smiling3:

C

CDW

i tried my normal fly fishing monofilament but it looked a little odd on this so this ones just normal cheap dark brown cotton thread.

M

mobear

find some wax coated button thread colin,doesnt gather dust and easy to work with

mobear

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Flying along Colin-- that really wasn't meant to be a rubbish joke !

C

CDW

"flying along" ... i see what you did there :smiling3: :smiling3: :smiling3:

Rigging on front wings done, just a single brace fron bottom of fuselage to axle left to do.

View attachment 44818

Trimming the flash has lead me to trim the rear a little short, there's a spare rear wing section in the kit so i can chop that to suit .... still a bit of a bummer though .. should have checked as i was going along.

View attachment 44819

When thats done it's on to rigging the tailplane and wings, there's as much to do on these as there is on the front jobbies.

After that it'll be a good filling of holes, a sanding down and should be ready for paint.

View attachment 47974

View attachment 47975

Photo0778.jpg

Photo0780.jpg

C

CDW

Well I'm calling this finished .... sorry i haven't updated for a while but i've just got on with it as and when i could ... been a rough past few weeks.

I said the filament looked a little odd on an unpainted model, what i should have done is comtinue with it ... the thread looks worse in the photos than it does in reality though, i just used it as i wanted to give it a metalic "wash".

I also tried to give a few areas some texture so it looked like rippled canvas etc but to be honest it just looks like the paint has started to run ... typical eh :smiling3:

I improvised the figure from an airfix RAF ground crew set by chopping the hat off, adjusted the contents of the hands and trimmed down his trousers to give the effect of legwraps (whatever the proper name is .....puttees?)

I've done a little dio, it's a ficticious situation but here's a little story ....

A triplane is spotted stranded in a local field by an Italian pilot when on manouvers, he returns by vehicle later that day to where he noticed it abandoned and flies it to his airbase ... on the way there he noticed how beautifully it flies and decides to name it "Bella", when he gets it back to his airfield a few ID markings are changed to suit his squadron and the plane paintwork and woodwork is tidied up.

This is his mechanic, Angelo, giving it a pre flight check.

View attachment 45034View attachment 45035View attachment 45036View attachment 45037View attachment 45038View attachment 45039View attachment 45040View attachment 45041View attachment 45042View attachment 45043

View attachment 48159

View attachment 48160

View attachment 48161

View attachment 48162

View attachment 48163

View attachment 48164

View attachment 48165

View attachment 48166

View attachment 48167

View attachment 48168

Photo0793.jpg

Photo0794.jpg

Photo0795.jpg

Photo0796.jpg

Photo0798.jpg

Photo0799.jpg

Photo0800.jpg

Photo0801.jpg

Photo0802.jpg

Photo0803.jpg

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Nice job colin! Loving the base and back story! Bet you didnt think £3 could keep you occupied for so long !!! cheers tony