Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Looking very nice.

Dude its big. Seeing it on the floor in front of the door.....kind of brought that home!!!

IAn M

P

phalinmegob

looking brilliant that mate allthough i must admit to never watching the program,i am currently watching andromeda, now if someone could build that ship,i would be really impressed.nice job mate.

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
I've not seen the programme so I've no idea how close this is to the original. Doesn't matter to me 'cos that's a super looking space ship! You going to be adding any more surface details?

Gern

C

CDW

Thanks chaps,

Will be adding some more detailing ... just thought a coat of paint would help me see where they need to go (its hard when there's so many different colours and textures from all the odds and sods .. you sort of get lost)

There's a few ariels and some more majour structure on the wings and then it's a roll of soldering wire and some stripped bell wire for all the pipework that seems to join the different structures together ... thats a job an' arf :smiling3:

There's so many tweaked and adjusted versions of this ship on t'interweb (as well as the program actually changing the design slightly through the series) so this is more like a model based on the original with a little artistic interpretation :smiling3:

@Ian ..... yes mate it's a bit of a bigun!!

C

CDW

Thanks Roman.

Still got a bit of detailing to do ... and then work out how to weather a spaceship ????

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Hi Colin i would say they would be very dirty , lots of space dust/junk flying around , and then theres all the battles they seam to get into not a nice place space

C

CDW

i was sort of thinking along them lines Ian, maybe a heavy black wash with a dry brushing of silver to highlight the raised surfaces, try to get it to look like space dust has worn it away.

B

Bikecrazidanny

Love SG1, looking forward to seeing this finished and all lit up :smiling3:

Last edited:
C

CDW

Well after a long long long long long long time i'm back on this ..... with renewed gusto and mojo-ness :smiling3: :smiling3:

First a thanks to Ian M for altering the thread title, now people will know what the threads about and so be able to avoid it :smiling3:

Started adding more of the detailing, its made up of all sorts of spares, sprue bits, wire, electrical components, beads etc etc, there's some photos of areas that have been given a once over with grey paint to show what the bits look like all one colour.

the front nose cone has had a gunmetal drybrush and to be honest, although not brilliant, looks better in real life maybe a black wash will pick the detail out a little more .... if it all fails then its just a matter of spraying it grey again as the surface doesnt have to be perfect (its been in deep space after all :smiling3: )

here you go then, and comments welcome

View attachment 65565View attachment 65566View attachment 65567View attachment 65568View attachment 65569View attachment 65570View attachment 65571View attachment 65572View attachment 65573

View attachment 66689

View attachment 66690

View attachment 66691

View attachment 66692

View attachment 66693

View attachment 66694

View attachment 66695

View attachment 66696

View attachment 66697

SAM_0309.jpg

SAM_0310.jpg

SAM_0311.jpg

SAM_0312.jpg

SAM_0313.jpg

SAM_0314.jpg

SAM_0315.jpg

SAM_0316.jpg

SAM_0317.jpg

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Great to see this progressing!

Isn't this exactly how film studios create their original designs?

Gern

P

Polux

Observe your models is always very agreeable thing mate!!!

Cheers

Polux

C

CDW

Dave ... I think a fair few TV/film models are still made up like this then CGI takes over. Thanks for your interest mate

Polux ... Always nice to have positive comments from you my friend.

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
\ said:
Dave ... I think a fair few TV/film models are still made up like this then CGI takes over
I expect you're right about CGI. I vaguely remember looking at one of the 'Sleepylafiel' videos where the modeller showed where some of the features of the Millennium Falcon came from. I think a Tiger tank and a Porsche car kit featured in there somewhere.

Oh well. I'm just glad to see guys like you are keeping the old traditions alive. I wouldn't want to see all Sci Fi stuff designed by CAD designers rather than modellers!

Gern

C

CDW

OK then all the detailing stuff is on and glued into place, any more and i think it would be too much, there's some paneling to be done on the flatter surfaces with a soft pencil that will give detail to the blank areas.

Doesn't look too bad really, and of course my workmate had to grab an opportunity for a photo chance :smiling3:

View attachment 65662View attachment 65663View attachment 65664View attachment 65665View attachment 65666View attachment 65667View attachment 65668

Gave it a quick once over with a grey satin type finish (99p a can from discount stores ... marvelous stuff)

will over spray it with a halfords grey primer to get that soft powdery looking finish. this will also give a good key to the weathering/highlighting that needs to be done.

View attachment 65669View attachment 65670View attachment 65671View attachment 65672

View attachment 66785

View attachment 66786

View attachment 66787

View attachment 66788

View attachment 66789

View attachment 66790

View attachment 66791

View attachment 66792

View attachment 66793

View attachment 66794

View attachment 66795

SAM_0318.jpg

SAM_0319.jpg

SAM_0320.jpg

SAM_0321.jpg

SAM_0322.jpg

SAM_0323.jpg

SAM_0324.jpg

SAM_0325.jpg

SAM_0326.jpg

SAM_0327.jpg

SAM_0328.jpg

First Name
Andy
Hi Colin,

This is looking fantastic and being an avid SG fan I think it is very, very, very close to how it would look if they had built it, I would rather see a real model like this than a CGi built ship, I can almost hear the great sound of her engines, the V8 of space...

A HUGE ***** from me Sir...:bow::no1b::bow:

C

CDW

Thanks Andy, I've got a top coat of lighter grey on it now which has given it the "depth"I wanted, have blackened the windows to match the ones in cut out for the lighting effect, added some painted detail to the surface.

Going to dry brush with gunmetal today if the weather stays fine.

After reading through endless webpages of people disagreeing about the length/width etc of the ship (175, 245, 375, 395 metres to name a few) I settled on making it 1:350 scale.

Will be attempting to scratch build a couple of F302 to sit near the launch doors on the centre column of the fuselage. (Or I might try something clever and have them flying out)