Collector or Hoarder

First Name
Carl
I’m sure there’s a diagnosis for this behaviour but when I first started building models earlier in the year it was buy one, build one but now it appears I’m buying them faster than I can build them. Is there a cure?
carl

KarlW

Mediocre modeller extraodinaire.
SMF Supporter
First Name
Karl
The cure is to let the SO know about all your purchases.............

(Yes the kit only cost £20, but theres £50 worth of AM stuff and £30 ofnew paints and I bought some new tools at £70 too.......)

D

Deleted member 7917

I’m sure there’s a diagnosis for this behaviour but when I first started building models earlier in the year it was buy one, build one but now it appears I’m buying them faster than I can build them. Is there a cure?
carl
In a nutshell ..... No! You're now experiencing what a fly feels when it wanders into a spider's web. If your stash is organised and catalogued then you are deemed a 'collector' which is very honourable, otherwise if not, then you are deemed a 'hoarder' and should seek professional advice .

First Name
Carl
The cure is to let the SO know about all your purchases.............

(Yes the kit only cost £20, but theres £50 worth of AM stuff and £30 ofnew paints and I bought some new tools at £70 too.......)
I just presumed that was a best kept secret.

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
In a nutshell ..... No! You're now experiencing what a fly feels when it wanders into a spider's web. If your stash is organised and catalogued then you are deemed a 'collector' which is very honourable, otherwise if not, then you are deemed a 'hoarder' and should seek professional advice .

My stash is catalogued but only so I can keep track of what I've already bought! I have a large book collection which isn't catalogued - you wouldn't believe how many duplicate books I've bought!

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
I’ve done that with records Dave. I once bought two copies of the same record on successive Saturdays.... I now have a database on my phone for the classical stuff.
Hi Carl, the only known cure is ever larger injections of plastic from your preferred plastic emporium!

• Love
Reactions: JR
D

Deleted member 7917

All my books are catalogued but I've still managed to buy some duplicates. :crying:

dave

SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
On the book front I do have two Or three copies of some books, but in my defense they are different edition, with extra text or different covers Or signed. That probably pushes me into the collector camp. I would say a similar line of thinking can be applied to our plastic stash.

The current situation has turned me from a buy and build, then buy again. To buying two or three at a time and keeping a couple on hand to save on postage.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Yes: self-discipline.

Not that I can claim 100% success, but when I realised (maybe 15 years ago) that I already had far more than I’ll probably ever build, I’ve found it fairly easy to say, “No, not going to buy this kit.”

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Military stash is down to a lot of WWII US, an Apache chopper & a few WWII German semi-scratch conversions. I generally only buy to fill holes in orgs. or if it is a definitely, absolutely, must have, would be sad if I didn't, acquisition. PaulE

Peter Gillson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Peter
Using the catalogue definition, I am a hoarder.

fortunately my wife is into sewing and you would not believe the amount of fabric (never call it material!) she has, so she cannot complain about my stash.

Peter

First Name
Carl
I’ve done that with records Dave. I once bought two copies of the same record on successive Saturdays.... I now have a database on my phone for the classical stuff.
Hi Carl, the only known cure is ever larger injections of plastic from your preferred plastic emporium!
Lol, well I’m glad I’m not alone with this affliction.

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
So true, so true and so easy to say,

I said No Kits, No Kits and No Kits after I realized that the stash was way more than I could build in a lifetime or two. Sold 22 in evilbay with plans on selling another 40. I have only purchased 6 new ones of late. It's a disease that we all love or hate to have. There is no cure other than will power or taking up knitting.

Will power, what's Will got to do with it!!!!!!!! knitting??? Are you freaking nuts!!!!!!!!!

Mojo Rising
Allen

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Every model show I've been to in the last 2 years, I've told myself and anyone else who'd listen "NO MORE KITS". The best I've managed is to only buy two.
My other downfall is charity shops. I can't resist a bargain.
Pete

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Every model show I've been to in the last 2 years, I've told myself and anyone else who'd listen "NO MORE KITS". The best I've managed is to only buy two.
My other downfall is charity shops. I can't resist a bargain.
Pete

Where do you guys find all these charity shops with models for sale? I have 7 or 8 charity shops in my local town and I can't remember that last time I saw any model in any of them!