Collector or Hoarder

Road of Bones

Cat slave
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alistair
“Seller is away” has been my friend on my eBay watchlist during the lockdown, otherwise the stash would have swelled again! Probably about time I had another clear out though- I sold almost all my WW2 stash last year. The money would be handy, to be honest!

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
That's sneaky - but how close are your mom and missus?:smiling:

Like I said the other week: "Two people can keep a secret if one of them is dead."
They get on well and whilst my mum wouldn't accept any serious misbehaviour on my part, I am her eldest!!! Hopefully that's enough to keep me safe!

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
I'm fooling myself intending to build everyone of them if I can live to 150. :smiling6:
Since your profile says you’re 58 now, I’d estimate your stash to be of smaller-than-average size ;)

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Thats a shops worth..
That's what I call a proper stash! Nice one Carl.

Apart from storage issues, I don't know why you should worry about any sort of stash. Whatever kits are there, as long as you bought them at reasonable prices, you should get back about what you've spent when they're sold - or like me, your heirs will!

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
They get on well and whilst my mum wouldn't accept any serious misbehaviour on my part, I am her eldest!!! Hopefully that's enough to keep me safe!

Sounds good - keep your fingers crossed.

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Since your profile says you’re 58 now, I’d estimate your stash to be of smaller-than-average size ;)
With the time and detail you put into your builds Richard, unless your stash only has a dozen or so kits, you'll need to live a lot longer than 150!

SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
Damn Steve,
That sure is a lot of plastic you have there on the shelves!!! Nice!!!!!!

I am sure I might have ""Shared"" this philosophy before but here goes, I only really buy a bargain, just like our Dave Ward, sensible chap, and spend 2 or 3, 10 minutes sessions a day on E-bay, check with Scalemates for an RRP and set a low bid, and sometimes you get a delivery, WIN WIN.

I know I wont build them all, or even 1/2, but they are an excellent investment to use against all the consumables the hobby requires.

C-19, has cancelled all my share dividends and locked my pension pot, so my only hobby fluidity is the plastic investment in the attic, and whilst I keep working from home, until I can retire for real, its a real buzz to get a great deal, even if you only bought it as an investment.

Am I a hoarder/collector or investor?

A little bit of them all and its fun too

Some interesting buying scams going on out there chaps, my one saving grace is Anna would never even step onto the attic ladder, never mind climb up into the ""Model Shop"" LOL

Regards Steve H

D

Deleted member 7917

Agree entirely with SteveH's philosophy.

About 4 years ago I was talking with a model dealer from West Australia who said he knew one guy whose stash exceeded 4,000 kits. He'd sold the guy many of them. He also said he sold to guys who just collected kits, not build them. Sounds weird but when you think of it, it would be more interesting than collecting coins and stamps perhaps. There's probably a bit of that in my own stash. I enjoy having such a wide choice when it comes to starting a build, as my interest is influenced by what I have been reading/researching.

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Its different for me, what I have in my stash is what I have chosen to build or dream to build...get it, dream to build;) so selling them is not my intention unless I have really lost interest in it. Quite a number are old molds bought or received when they were a quarter of todays prices. So what am I classified as...neither a hoarder or a builder, perhaps a dreamer :smiling6:

Cheers,
Richard