Colour names when you’re a modeller

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Via a somewhat roundabout way including XKCD, I just came across this image from the webcomic Doghouse Diaries:

2010-03-01-12bf011.png

… and that had me wondering: what about “Colour names if you’re a modeller”? Something like “Tamiya X-7” for the red at the very top, “Humbrol 70” for the next, and so on :smiling3:

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Sort of like "Fifty Shades of grey":tongue-out3:
Cheers, Rick H.

D

Dave S4

Don't forget F'ing Matt Varnish. With its pretty white blooms.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Don't forget F'ing Matt Varnish. With its pretty white blooms.
I don’t think that’s ever happened to me, though I did think it did once. I had a SF wargames model all painted and wanted to give it a coat of varnish. As I began to spray, the thought “Damn, it’s turning white!” shot through my head. Naturally, I stopped spraying immediately, and on looking at the can, found I was holding one of white primer rather than varnish … oops.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
knew i had a better one saved somewhere

50nlee.jpg
Comparing this to the one I posted, the conclusion is that all girls are artists who look like men, and all normal people are guys look like girls.

D

Dave S4

I don’t think that’s ever happened to me, though I did think it did once. I had a SF wargames model all painted and wanted to give it a coat of varnish. As I began to spray, the thought “Damn, it’s turning white!” shot through my head. Naturally, I stopped spraying immediately, and on looking at the can, found I was holding one of white primer rather than varnish … oops.
Oh it's evil stuff

Humbrol Matt Varnish is the one. It's a nightmare on anything you've painted, whether enamel or acrylic. The wretched stuff leaves salty tide marks over whatever you paint with it.
BUT: it's really good for ground work, as it sets hard and seals the exterior Polyfilla that I use really well. In fact, it was enough - along with some washes - to finish the base for a vignette and avoid the need to apply any paint.
Not all bad, then.

D

Deleted member 6559

Vallejo Acrylics had me speaking Spanish in no time (Spanish/English labels). ''A bit of Cuero Rojo on the belt, then add some Carne Mate for the highlights.''