Commercial F-27 Fokker Friendship in MSA Diorama

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi I have decided to move the progress of the Fokker Friendship build to here because of its dio nature.

For the base I proceeded to scratchbuild the passenger ladder and baggage cart from memory. The plans were sketched out, calaculating the steps and scale. I remember them as made with aluminum. For mine its basically all plastic strip.

405568.jpg
405569.jpg

I remember they were manually pushed or pulled at the local airport. The baggage cart railings were bent wire and the wheels were scavenged from the Airfix Stirling bomb carts.

405570.jpg
405571.jpg

The Preiser figure helped with scale and is shaved of all detail to be made into the Air Stewardess.

405572.jpg

Below is the ladder and baggage cart painted up and placed on the base. The base is made up of card for the tarmac and static grass.

405573.jpg 405574.jpg

I used black fine tipped marker pens for the tarmac lines and airbrushed the others with white and yellow.

405575.jpg 405576.jpg

405577.jpg The F-27 Fokker build is here if you wish to see the blog build.

Cheers,
Richard

Last edited:

Lee Drennen

Box Stock Builder with a Twist/ Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Great job Richard! That turned out beautiful I like that dio.

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Fantastic build and scratch building Richard. That's a real beauty.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Richard
Love the steps and trolley. A simple base but very well done and so very effective. Bring on the stewardess :tongue-out3:
Jim

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
I think it was one of these that I flew in from Brussels to Luxembourg, with Sabena (Such A Bad Experience, Never Again). When we landed the pilot told us not to stand up until the ground crew had put a stand under the tail to stop the aircraft from tipping up!
Pete

Fernando N

Aviation fan and the Roadrunner, meep meep!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Fernando
Great Fokker Richard and a neat dio to go with it.:thumb2:

Love those scratchbuilt trolley and stairs.:smiling:

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Richard the plane is great, but those steps, just perfection in scratchery, very precise measurements and cutting ,well done .

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Greatly appreciate your compliments guys,

Jim, you don't know what you're asking for, at this scale she looks hideous :tears-of-joy:
Pete, for me the rides were fun, when you're at your youth danger doesn't comprehend...the rockier it was the more fun.:smiling3:
Fernando, I'll try to get close ups of the trolley and stairs as I used butter wrappers for the tread floor.
John, there were no plans to follow so most of the measurements were guess work and visual memory. So mistakes are unrecorded :hugging-face: The other thing is you can get away with a lot in this scale.

Cheers,
Richard

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi, the figures were modified Preiser figures. I enjoyed matching and reconfiguring the poses as evident from the different shades of plastic. Some limbs had to be cut and repositioned. I gave the first officer a clipper board for him to check pre-flight details with the pilot.

405587.jpg 405588.jpg

Some passengers recieved hand held luggage, one of the ladies has a shoulder bag. The stewardess had her chest endowed and her sarong skirt shaped...unfortunately she hasen't recieved her wig.

405589.jpg 405595.jpg

Figures primed after more details were added. The stewardess got her 70'ish wig, the baggage handler his earphones and the pilots more pronounced short sleeves.

405600.jpg 405601.jpg

Having done mostly military related figures, I thoughrally enjoyed creating the details for the civillians and modern airport groundcrew. You will notice the guy looking up is the same figure I used for the Re8 dio pilot with the pipe having his photo taken.
I hope you like the row of figures doing the square dance.

Cheers,
Richard

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Richard , very nice work, but a bit it concerned about the guy 2nd in cocking his leg up against the the girl in the dress! :surprised::crying:

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Thank you John and Ralph,

John, like he's doing a doggie pee right :tears-of-joy: ...well he's actually going to be placing that leg onto the baggage trolly.

Cheers,
Richard

• Haha
Reactions: JR

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Thanks Scottie...yup..360 degrees viewing. :tears-of-joy:

I made up some luggage and crates for the trolly with balsa.

405596.jpg

Cheers,
Richard

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Now on with the painted figures...

405597.jpg

I wasn't looking for well defined detail and it was my first time using Vallejo paints so they were just flat coats

405598.jpg Singapore Air StewardessSingapore Girl.jpg Malaysian Air StewardessMas Girl.jpg

The air hostess was a challenge to paint her batik print blouse and sarong. After the split Singapore Airlines took the design and created the Singapore Girl. We retained the Kebaya look with a slightly different print.

405599.jpg

All these years I haven't taken a photo of the completed dio with the figures in position...its about time I do it and post it here. Its been raining lately so will do it soon.

Cheers,
Richard

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
It must have been one hell of a long rain spell. I owe you some photos...

Cheers,
Richard

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Still raining I'm afraid. :angry::tongue-out2: ...excuses, excuses. Don't worry i haven't forgotten.

Cheers,
Richard