Compass Cutter

• Thread starter Deleted member 7917
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 7917

A search of topics indicates that several forum contributors use a compass cutter. John stocks some different types. Any recommendations on which might be the best?

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
I've been using an Olfa Compass cutter for many years, but it's no better than a cheapo one I bought off Amazon. - Just a bit better presented. Whatever you buy, check on the availability of spare blades!
Don't expect to cut perfect circles in thick material in one pass! You have to make many small cuts, or the cutter will deflect, and you won't have a perfect circle any more. I generally use mine for cutting masks, or paper templates - the thicker the material the more difficult it is, and that small blade gets dull pretty quickly!
Dave

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
I have been using Olfa since late 80’s

Current models are not as well made but with some slight customisation they work fine

I have cut hundreds of circles with them for scratch building

The trick with them is to use the blade backwards and score rather than cut if you are working with plastic card otherwise the blade digs in and circles end up wonky

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
I got my Olfa about 6 months ago and luckily it was the older, more stable model. Simon is so correct with turning the blade around as it cuts much better. It also came with 2 packs of extra blades...........

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
I accidentally destroyed my original one that I had been using since the 80’s - left the top off the liquid cement, which fell over in the tray holding my tools and literally dissolved 80% of the Olfa

That‘s why I have the newer one

The new ones just need a thin shim of plastic card adding to the body to tighten things up and remove the flex

Don‘t know why they changed them as the originals were brilliant

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
I have an Olfa one and can’t get along with it, so I soon bought a more elaborate type, an NT Cutter C-1500P:

1214153202_5a321ae2ef86f.png

I find it works far better and doesn’t cut spirals like the Olfa one did for me.

(Also, thanks for making me go find the name and type number in my attic hobby room, where it’s 35 degrees at the moment :smiling3:)

D

Deleted member 7917

Thanks everyone for your contributions which have been very helpful.

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
I have an Olfa one and can’t get along with it, so I soon bought a more elaborate type, an NT Cutter C-1500P:

View attachment 395346

I find it works far better and doesn’t cut spirals like the Olfa one did for me.

(Also, thanks for making me go find the name and type number in my attic hobby room, where it’s 35 degrees at the moment :smiling3:)
I just remembered my birthday is next week, so I've ordered one of those!
Pete

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
I just remembered my birthday is next week, so I've ordered one of those!
Be sure to read the instructions, it’s got a few hidden features, like having a felt pad on the pivot that you can remove to expose a sharp tip — but be careful to not try and extend that tip with the pad in place, because that will bend the tip.