Completed 1/48 Douglas SBD-3 Dauntless

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Here is the finished Hasegawa 1/48 Dauntless model. It flew from the the U.S.S. Lexington during WW2.

Apart from the wing roots, it went together well. I added the seat belts and M.G. ammo belts. I made these from thin foil.

The aircraft is brush painted using thinned Humbrol enamels, both gloss and matt.

I applied a coat of 'Klear' followed by the decals, then another coat of 'Klear', then a final coat of Vallejo matt varnish, thinned with distilled water.

The weathering, oil stains and and panel lines are all done with my trusty 5B pencil.

The 'chipping' was achieved with a sewing needle dipped in aluminium paint.

As I was well chuffed with my background watercolour painting for my D.Day Omaha Beach landing dio. I have done one for this too, but with a bit more detail on the destroyer, fading to the carrier on the horizon.

It shows a Kamikaze attack on the U.S. Fleet in the Pacific. Luckily, the dive bomber has missed it's target and is heading for the 'oggin....

You will notice the aircraft has been turned through 180 degrees, this is due to the flight deck crew moving the Dauntless away from danger but being disturbed by an attack and legging it for cover, leaving it all alone on the flight deck!

The flight deck is an old roofing slate I found behind my shed.

I have tried to depict a well worn, battle weary and sea sprayed dive bomber....

I hope you like the model and the selection of photos and all comments, even physically painful ones are more than welcome.

Cheers,

Ron

View attachment 32041

View attachment 32042

View attachment 32043

View attachment 32044

View attachment 32045

View attachment 32046

View attachment 32047

View attachment 32048

View attachment 32049

View attachment 32050

View attachment 32051

View attachment 32052

View attachment 32053

View attachment 32054

148 SBD-3  Dauntless 043.jpg

148 SBD-3  Dauntless 031.jpg

148 SBD-3  Dauntless 035.jpg

148 SBD-3  Dauntless 046.jpg

148 SBD-3  Dauntless 041.jpg

148 SBD-3  Dauntless 048.jpg

148 SBD-3  Dauntless 044.jpg

148 SBD-3  Dauntless 040.jpg

148 SBD-3  Dauntless 038.jpg

148 SBD-3  Dauntless 049.jpg

148 SBD-3  Dauntless 033.jpg

148 SBD-3  Dauntless 029.jpg

148 SBD-3  Dauntless 032.jpg

148 SBD-3  Dauntless 047.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
C

Caledonia

Hi Ron, superb job, love the chipping and scuffing very realistic, only wish you would do a tutorial on how to brush paint, must be far more satisfying than blasting everything with an airbrush. Cheers Derek

p.s. 5 Stars from me, would have given you a 6th for the background if I could.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I love it! You really pulled out the stops there. Well done sir!

I do like the back ground. A man of many talents.

Ian M

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Lovely job ron,even better with the excellent backdrop. The pencil oil staining works brilliantly,and the paint job is fantastic. Top work , we'll have to make you buy some more aircraft at cosford. (MMM? i wonder if i can coerce him into buying a biplane?!!):emo6: cheers tony

T

treyzx10r

Ron, brush painted really???That is amazing you've done a brilliant job its awesome!!! I'm with Derek would love to see a 'how to' thread on your brush painting technique!

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks to you all for the very complimentary posts and the 5*s. I am glad you approve of the model and the background.

I'm not really the sort of bloke who could do justice to a painting tutorial and I prefer to just keep my head down and plod on.

I would probably not be able to convert it to the written word anyway. Also there are far, far better people at it than me and vast majority of people use an A/B anyway so it might be a bit pointless.....I don't really know.

I will certainly give it a bit of thought though and thanks for thinking my efforts good enough for a tutorial.

Ron

P

phalinmegob

after my first forays into airbrushing (until i lost the tip down the sink) it just seems like so much hassle,mixing paint to the right consticincy,cleaning it every two minutes because the acrylics i use keep drying in the tip,and then stripping the thing down to clean it when finished which is how i lost the tip.lol.cmon ron i need some video tutorials on brushing cos i am crap at that too.

Centurion3RTR

Fossil Raver
First Name
John
Nice work Ron and great photos too matey, love it. I think you deserve some stars for this.

Have fun, John

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks Andrew and John, glad you like the Dauntless and thanks too for your comments, good stuff!

Seems I'm in a bit of a corner over this brush painting lark so I reckon I will have to give some serious thought to some sort of tutorial, and how to present it....

I'll root around for a suitable kit first.

Cheers,

Ron

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Hi Ron,

I want to second all the comments about your painting. I could leave brushmarks if I painted with pure water so a tutorial would be massively helpful to me!

Gern

PS Still trying to work out a way to get to Cosford! It looks like it could come down to selling part of my stash - which obviously I don't want; or selling the missus into slavery - which I don't think she wants! :lol

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
\ said:
Hi Ron,I want to second all the comments about your painting. I could leave brushmarks if I painted with pure water so a tutorial would be massively helpful to me!

Gern

PS Still trying to work out a way to get to Cosford! It looks like it could come down to selling part of my stash - which obviously I don't want; or selling the missus into slavery - which I don't think she wants! :lol
Dave, the answer is simple........Take the missus to Cosford, sell her there. Then you will have ready money to buy kits!!!!..........Sorted!

Ron