Completed: Airfix 1:72 Curtis P-40B Warhawk

Valeron

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
This was quite an easy build. There was a small amount of filler and light sanding required.

I struggled attaching the landing gear and this kept breaking. There is only one connecting point but super glue saved the day.

I might attempt to mask the cockpit on my next build as this was painted 100% freehand so is a bit messy in parts. I didn’t think that spending £5 on a masking kit for a £10 model was a justifiable cost.

The model was primed using Army Painter rattle can white primer and then painted by brush using various Vallejo Model colour paints. Light coats of Rust-Oleum Crystal Clear Gloss were applied before and after decals. Decals were applied using Vallejo decals fix and softener. This worked very well.

I applied some washes using Vallejo black, rust and brown washes and then brush coated two thinned coats of Vallejo Matt varnish.

I’m still pretty new to all of this so any comments are appreciated.

Next build will be for the Mossie group build.

IMG_3174.JPGIMG_3162.JPGIMG_3168.JPGIMG_3171.JPGIMG_3159.JPG

langy71

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
Very nice indeed, the colours look spot on, an excellent looking P-40..

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Mike
I'd call that a success. Looks great. I'm sure you've learned lots of useful stuff to take forward to your mosquito build.
Jim

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Nicely done!!

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
That is a great looking P40. I do use shop bought masks, but only for more complicated canopies. For something of this size, home grown masking tape masking does just fine.