Completed... Flt. Sgt. Ray Holmes, 504 Sqn. 'Dornier Splitting over London' 15 Sept. 1940

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
On the 15th September, Ray Holmes piloting a Mk.1 Hurricane was engaging E.A. over the home counties. Whilst over London, he attacked a Dornier Do-17. On his forth pass his guns jammed.
What he didn't know was the Dornier was on auto pilot. The crew, except those already dead, had abandoned the aircraft. Holmes, thinking the bomber was about to drop it's bombs on London rammed the rear fuselage of the Dornier, severing the tail section. The Dornier broke up and crashed. Holmes Hurricane was destroyed in the impact, but he managed to parachute to safety.

To Ian. (papa 695) A final, big thank you for the Hurricane donation.

To Steve (stona) If you read this thread, feel free to add more detail about the incident......Official or otherwise.

...and to those who posted great comments during the build.

Here is my attempt at the collision. No photoshop or superimposed. Just some damn fine precision 'chucking'!.... ;)

P1270643.JPG

P1270584.JPG

P1270606.JPG

P1270656 (2).JPG

P1270607 (2).JPG

P1270664.JPG

P1270650 (2).JPG

P1270612.JPG

P1270621.JPG

P1270649.JPG

P1270622.JPG

P1270636.JPG

P1270625.JPG

P1270651.JPG

P1270635.JPG

P1270640 (2).JPG

Cheers all and thanks for looking.

Ron

Last edited:

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Looks superb. The usual excellent photography shows the great build to its best.
Impressed with not only the precision chucking, but the Billy Whizz act with the camera. You must have moved really quickly to get all those different angle shots before the planes fell down again......

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
That's a wonderful result!

We can't possibly know what exactly happened that day, but I bet it looked a lot like that.

Fantastic!

Here is a excerpt from Holmes' original Combat Report, at least we have his account of events, which doesn't quite match the subsequent British propaganda ;)

“In the attack made by No.504 Squadron I attacked the right flank machine from quarter to astern. Pieces flew from the wings and a flame appeared in the port wing but went out again. After breaking away I climbed up to a single Do 215* and made two quarter attacks. Pieces flew off, my windscreen was now splashed with black oil. I attacked a third time and a member of the crew bailed out. On my fourth attack from the port beam a jar shook my starboard wing as I passed over the e/a and I went into an uncontrollable spin. I think the e/a must have exploded beneath me. I bailed out and as I landed I saw the Dornier hit the ground by Victoria Station, half a mile away.”

*The aircraft was a Do 17, as depicted in Ron's model.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks chaps.
...and thanks to Steve for a bit more info. about the incident.

I'm well chuffed you all approve of my effort at modelling the 'Ramming'

Tim, not so much a 'Billy Whizz Act', more perhaps multi. cameras all going pop in sync....that would work. ;)

Thanks again for your interest, boys.

Ron

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Only your imagination and technical ability can produce this. Brilliant work Ron. Simply brilliant.

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
RON words FAIL ME THEM PICS I THOUGHT WOULD BE IMPOSSIBLE TO CAPTURE but your family an you have done IT WONDERFUL JUST LIKE IT WOULD BE IN REAL LIFE very well done ALL an just wondered but how many chuckes up ?
chris

Last edited:

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Ron
As always a really impressive effort. Brilliant idea, great models, superb photography and chucking well up to Olympic standards.
Jim

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
What a great piece of work. Not sure what I like the best - the build or the photography! Full marks and a gold star for this young Ron.

D

Deleted member 7181

Excellent as always Ron.

The build was great to follow and the final pictures are magnificent. Olympic level plane slinging if you ask me!

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
Utterly blown away Ron....your camera work and ‘eye for a picture’ never ceases to amaze :thumb2:

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
Outstanding Ron! Superb modelling and again, your photographic artistry brings the models and the story to life, now you just need to add a stirring drum piece...you still crashing away on the bin lids?