Completed: HMS Nelson, Airfix

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
After a up hill battle, HMS Nelson has left for the scrap yard;)

This is my first ship for about 45 yrs plus. Thinking about it now, i should have built the Tamiya Fletcher, the Airfix kit is very old, found missing parts, some in bits and others very fragile, and in my case a nightmare to build, it really should be left in Airfix history

I spent most of the time, cleaning, fixing and swearing at the kit lol. I surpose i thought it would a easy build and off to the bath for a shake down cruise, but so much different to a StuG, i should have known better and i have since watched a fair bit on YT, especially Mike Ashey

Even though its no beauty i must thank Ron for all his kind advice, Tim deserves a mention and of course Chris, "another fine mess you got me in to):tongue-out3:, thanks to you all for support, my god i needed it lol

I will be aproaching KGV from a totally different direction and attitude20210128_122508.jpg
20210128_122516.jpg
20210128_122524.jpg
20210128_122532.jpg

Please do not look to close, its poor at the best, i can only improve lol

Bob

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Bob, it's been a pleasure to help and have a chat during this build of yours.

No one will criticize. She looks neat and tidy. I'm not being patronising either. You did your best and persevered better than most with a s*** kit.

Your last few words sums the build up. "I can only improve" Take strength from that and roll on your KG5.

Ron.

P.S. Love the pink slippers, by the way! :flushed:

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Bob
You stuck at it, learned a lot I'm sure and ended up with a decent result. I built the sister ship, HMS Rodney, by Tamiya, but if this had been my kit I doubt I would have persevered with it.
Move onwards and upwards :thumb2:
Jim

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Looks very good Bob, you've made a nice job of an old kit.
Thanks Graeme, appreciated
For a first ship in 45 years, and an old Airfix kit, that as turned out very nicely Bob. onwards and upwards with the KGV.
It can only get better, praying towards Portsmouth lol!
Hi Bob
You stuck at it, learned a lot I'm sure and ended up with a decent result. I built the sister ship, HMS Rodney, by Tamiya, but if this had been my kit I doubt I would have persevered with it.
Move onwards and upwards :thumb2:
Jim
Very kind Jim, was a few times when the bin looked tempting lol

Sure learned a lot, so much different than armour!!

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
From what I can see Bob it looks a mighty fine boat. Even though you are an experienced modeller you a starting on a new road with the floaty stuff after a 45 year break. It will take a few floaty builds to get into the swing of it and produce the quality of build that you are after. I hope seascape bases will be part of future plans. Well done my friend and good luck with the next project.

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
From what I can see Bob it looks a mighty fine boat. Even though you are an experienced modeller you a starting on a new road with the floaty stuff after a 45 year break. It will take a few floaty builds to get into the swing of it and produce the quality of build that you are after. I hope seascape bases will be part of future plans. Well done my friend and good luck with the next project.
Hi Steve

Much appreciated!! Seascape yes, but much more practice needed. Might use Nelson as a test piece.

Now back to StuG's i can hear them calling, either that or i am finally cracking

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
WELL Bob mate im glad i got you into that fine mess lol but to me i think you have done the nelson very well very well done mate but this is not critsuim of the build but just an observation unless you dint notice them but i see you dint paint the bridge windows black or get a permant black fine linener pen an just colour them in but i think you did great for your first build well done mate
chris now roll on to the KGV as im lookin forward to this ps if you take nelson in the bath you can use it to sink your rubber duck lol

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
WELL Bob mate im glad i got you into that fine mess lol but to me i think you have done the nelson very well very well done mate but this is not critsuim of the build but just an observation unless you dint notice them but i see you dint paint the bridge windows black or get a permant black fine linener pen an just colour them in but i think you did great for your first build well done mate
chris now roll on to the KGV as im lookin forward to this ps if you take nelson in the bath you can use it to sink your rubber duck lol
Cheers Chris, just run out of headache tablets;)

First Name
Carl
After a up hill battle, HMS Nelson has left for the scrap yard;)

This is my first ship for about 45 yrs plus. Thinking about it now, i should have built the Tamiya Fletcher, the Airfix kit is very old, found missing parts, some in bits and others very fragile, and in my case a nightmare to build, it really should be left in Airfix history

I spent most of the time, cleaning, fixing and swearing at the kit lol. I surpose i thought it would a easy build and off to the bath for a shake down cruise, but so much different to a StuG, i should have known better and i have since watched a fair bit on YT, especially Mike Ashey

Even though its no beauty i must thank Ron for all his kind advice, Tim deserves a mention and of course Chris, "another fine mess you got me in to):tongue-out3:, thanks to you all for support, my god i needed it lol

I will be aproaching KGV from a totally different direction and attitudeView attachment 412424
View attachment 412425
View attachment 412426
View attachment 412427

Please do not look to close, its poor at the best, i can only improve lol

Bob
I think that’s turned out really well Bob. Great job.

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Thanks Carl

Should have been better but learnt a lot, good and bad. Next test, KGV!

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Well you got it sorted and it looks like the Nelson so you did fine. Better than my first attempt.
Look forward to seeing your next floaty thing.

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Bob

No complaints from me. As you say it was not be a great kit and your first in umpteen years - you've got to start somewhere!

ATB.

Andrew

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Well you got it sorted and it looks like the Nelson so you did fine. Better than my first attempt.
Look forward to seeing your next floaty thing.
Cheers Ian, just recovering lol

Bob

No complaints from me. As you say it was not be a great kit and your first in umpteen years - you've got to start somewhere!

ATB.

Andrew
Thanks Andrew, just checked and its afloat!