Completed Joe's 1/72 Italeri Bell UH-1H Iroquois (papa 695's Helicopter GB 2018)

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Completed build thread here http://www.scale-models.co.uk/threads/joes-1-72-italeri-bell-uh-1h-iroquois.29485/

Added to the kit to make it an -H model Huey: corrected doors and windows, wire cutters, air vents at the front of the cabin, lower landing light, roof top square panel, bar across the top of the cabin, VHF aerial atop the engine cowling, small blade aerial ahead of the anti-coll light, the steps each side of the cabin, a lower rear aerial, HF aerial prongs on the port fuselage boom, HF aerial wire, and the thin port plate which runs along the boom. Enjoyable build, but evidence of spray got inside on the starboard windows (I think it got in via the exhaust area during priming) and I was unable to remove it.

Thanks for following the build, and this completes my final contribution to Ian's helicopter GB 2018.

DSC_0041.JPG

DSC_0043.JPGDSC_0044.JPGDSC_0048.JPGDSC_0050.JPGDSC_0053.JPG

And here it is with its RNZAF brethren, the original SEA scheme Huey and the Bell Sioux
DSC_0057.JPGDSC_0059.JPG

Replacing the models onto their shelf afterwards, I noticed that after all those years, the original Hasegawa Huey still had its chin bubble windows masked!DSC_0045.JPG

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Looks great Joe. Nice collection as well. But those wire cutters got me thinking. Some poor pilot is putting a lot of faith in those bits of metal working. Do you know if anyone has ever found out if they work ?

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Excellent work joe , they look great together , cheers tony

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
But those wire cutters got me thinking. Some poor pilot is putting a lot of faith in those bits of metal working. Do you know if anyone has ever found out if they work ?
Military helicopters that hit power cables then land unscathed while whole towns suddenly have their electricity turned off, probably prove that they do. I find it hard to find good evidence of this, though, probably because journalists writing about such incidents are likely unaware of the wire cutters even being on the aircraft — except for this article from 2007:
De Apache is boven en onder de cockpit voorzien van draadsnijders, die speciaal zijn ontworpen voor het geval de gevechtshelikopter tegen een kabel vliegt. Die werken dus, zo blijkt.

Translation: “The Apache is equipped with wire cutters above and below the cockpit, that are specially designed for when the attack helicopter flies into a cable. These work fine, it seems.”

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Military helicopters that hit power cables then land unscathed while whole towns suddenly have their electricity turned off, probably prove that they do. I find it hard to find good evidence of this, though, probably because journalists writing about such incidents are likely unaware of the wire cutters even being on the aircraft — except for this article from 2007:

Translation: “The Apache is equipped with wire cutters above and below the cockpit, that are specially designed for when the attack helicopter flies into a cable. These work fine, it seems.”
Thanks Jakko. It still must be a bit of a 'shock' for the helicopter !

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
I suppose there could be some sparks, but the helicopters I’ve heard of hitting power cables tend to come away fine. Peacetime practice is probably to land right away to make sure everything is OK, but in wartime I think they’d just keep going.

Fernando N

Aviation fan and the Roadrunner, meep meep!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Fernando
Great trio Joe:thumb2::thumb2:, did the masking came off without any damage?
Had the same with my Osprey awhile back, sat on the shelf for at least 4 years with some small covered in Tamiya tape, luckily they came off without any damage.:smiling:

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Thanks guys for your comments.

Do you know if anyone has ever found out if they work ?
I know the RNZAF had never found out in the Huey. The only losses of airframes they suffered from wire strikes were a Strikemaster and an A-4K Skyhawk (NZ fast jets, when they had them, were cleared to 50ft).

Great trio Joe:thumb2::thumb2:, did the masking came off without any damage?
Came off no worries with no residue or any damage, Tamiya tape is the best.