Completed.....Mr. Bamford's Wonderful JCB 3.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
I had great fun with this little model from Dapol. The mouldings are around 50/60yrs old - and it shows! Nearly every piece had lots of 'dribbles' of excess plastic.
Strangely though, I enjoyed the build. Because I spent an age cleaning the parts up, I somehow felt I was putting my stamp on the thing, and not boringly sticking together perfect fit sections.

I brush painted it with Vallejo model Colour yellow and Model Air red. Because I brush primed it with white, the first coat of yellow covered well, so much so that I decided to stick the model together and then give it a rough second 'hit and miss' coat of yellow. This, as I hoped, produced a nice patchy yellow finish. The weathering is simply a well watered down coat of Vallejo Dk. Brown roughly applied and allowed to run and gather where it chose to. I then followed it with a slightly thicker coat, and this overcoat darkened where the original had dried (Mostly along bottom edges)
A third coat of brown produced the earthy look to the bucket and back hoe etc.
When dry, I attacked the model with a pencil to produce the worn metal surfaces.

To finish off the digger, I scratch made the cab glass, 2 rear view mirrors and the Hybolok pipes.

Any road up, here is the finished JCB 3

P1180957.JPG

P1180958.JPG

P1180970.JPG

P1180971.JPG

....and just for fun.
P1180988.JPG

I hope you approve and thanks for looking.

Cheers,
Ron

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks ever so much boys for the great comments.
Polux - I have a base lined up, but I thought it best to post the finished model on here....and then post the JCB over on Dioramas 'Completed' which I hope to asap......

Thanks again all.
Ron

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Excellent result Ron, that's a little beauty

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
I think we're gonna have to insist on you bringin' this to Cosford Ron. How else are we gonna know you ain't just photoshopped a real one?

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks boys...Glad you approve of the diddy digger.

Dave - No problem. I'll drive it there.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks to those who posted comments about this build. I appreciated them all.

I'll post something with the JCB over in Dioramas 'Complete' very soon.....

Cheers.
Ron