Completed - spanner's Victory Challenge.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
I've tried to get close to the original photo....

This has been a strange build......I've gone through wanting to put my foot on it, through to a determination to get near to the promo. picture.

The flags are facing the wrong way and there is not much paintwork on the mizzen sail mast, both are like this on the promo. shot...

In a perverse way I've really enjoyed being tested, particularily where patience is concerned!

Freehand brush painted...How you people managed to mask this thing is beyond me!!

Here is the result....

View attachment 88867

Cheers,

Ron.

HMS Victory 006.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Bloody hell that was quick!

It looks a lot like that promo shot, in fact I did a double take to make sure you hadn't cheated :smiling3:

Are you still planning to put her to sea? Anything you do with water is always worth watching.

Cheers

Steve

D

dubster72

Very nice Ron! That is just like the promo picture - I think all you brave chaps should email Airfix & say "look, it can be done! " ;)

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks fellas.

I gave up trying to take a suitable picture of the model. For instance, all the sails are the same colour as the three front ones!

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Top job (ship)mate , it looks just like the pic, although seeing something floaty from yourself without the superb seascapes weve got used to seems a bit strange. I expect nothing less than a full recreation of the ship at the battle of trafalgar , complete with full crew and Nelson himself , all scratchbuilt to 1/475 scale .!! cheers tony

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
\ said:
I expect nothing less than a full recreation of the ship at the battle of trafalgar , complete with full crew and Nelson himself , all scratchbuilt to 1/475 scale .!! cheers tony
Maybe you could cut down some of those 3,000 Zulus ;)

Yours

Captain Hardy

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks for the great posts boys. I might do a sea scape of sorts...Once I get my eyes back in order!

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Are you sure you didn't build the original promo kit for Airfix back when you were nowt but a lad?

Gern

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Great work Ron.

Just like Steve I had to take another look to make sure you just didn't re- post the original picture ha ha

M

Mike

Wow. I am stunned. How you managed to do this freehand, I don't understand. How you managed to get this done so quickly I don't understand...

This is legendary, I am most jealous!

Maybe my challenge should have been who can get closest to the Marketing photo with only the paints, glue and brush supplied.. But I guess no one would take up that challenge!

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Sorry for the late response to your posts boys.

Thanks for the great comments on my wee ship!

Ron