*COMPLETED*WHIF Ducati 916, 'Foggys desert Duc(rat)i', (image heavy, dialup aware)

M

m1ks

Hi folks, i'm pleased to announce my completion of the SIG bike build.

WIP here: http://www.scale-models.co.uk/biker-build-off/12097-tamiya-1-12-ducati-916-whif.html

Could I ask that you take the time to read the short accompanying story below before viewing the images.

I hope you enjoy and thanks for looking.

OK folks, picture the scene:

It’s 1993 and this year sees the occurrence of two events, the release of the beautiful stunning Ducati 916 sportsbike and Carl Fogarty coming to the fore in Superbikes.

Having been making a good show on the 888, Ducati were keen to keep him on the team, however unbeknownst to them in a thoroughly unlikely turn of events the joint leaders of the US military had been watching his progress in WSB and could see a Keen mind with sharp focus, it was decided that a man like this would be the ideal candidate to head up their newly revamped desert strike force, (I know, what are the odds? Incredible!).

So, with the Presidents very keen permission the joint leaders approached Mr Fogarty with an offer.

Carl Fogarty, not one to back down from a challenge thought the offer through and decided that he would accept provided that one condition was met.

That he, as general of the desert strike force would be supplied with any vehicle of his choosing for military duties and also be allowed to select and have modified a squadron of said vehicles for the men under his command.

As he was bemoaning the loss of the beautiful new Ducati 916 shown to him by the men in Varese that he would have been racing in this years WSB series, the choice was immediate and obvious.

The military did require some cutbacks despite General ‘Foggy’ Fogarty trying his utmost to secure full termignoni titanium exhaust systems and full carbon fibre kits.

This led to the militarised versions having a mild steel petrol tank and complete exhaust systems as well as a liberal dose of desert sand camo and nato black, General Foggy, not one to give up easily did manage to swing carbon timing belt covers, front mudguard, (fender) and air intakes.

Oh, and he requested the fitment of a small gun be available for certain models starting with his own. :smiling3:

Without further ado may I introduce ‘Foggy’s Desert Duc’rat’i

One additional detail pic I was quite pleased with.

Oil level window.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
What you playing at. One minute its there and I am posting a reply. My reply was there your post was not!!!!

ANYWAY.

Very well done M1ks. That is spectacularly good. The detail you have put in to it is great and the paint! Seriously good stuff.

I must confess to liking it better without the chain gun. It was good I just like it more without it.

I'm not sure I'd like to fire the duc up on the sand but on a nice urban sortie it would be a hoot.

Five stars from me.-

Ian M

A

andygh

:terrific:Great imaginitive stuff, looks like you had loads of fun

I attended just about every BSB and all the WSB legs back in those heady days, great times

M

m1ks

\ said:
What you playing at. One minute its there and I am posting a reply. My reply was there your post was not!!!!ANYWAY.

Very well done M1ks. That is spectacularly good. The detail you have put in to it is great and the paint! Seriously good stuff.

I must confess to liking it better without the chain gun. It was good I just like it more without it.

I'm not sure I'd like to fire the duc up on the sand but on a nice urban sortie it would be a hoot.

Five stars from me.-

Ian M
Sorry, sorry.

I think it must have been my machine playing up, it just wasn't showing up in the new posts section though I could find it, i tried editing it and no joy so thought i'd wipe and repost, I now come back in to check and see the reply from you in the deleted thread, bizarre, apologiues for that.

:smiling3:

Before you write off the sand performance though watch Nick Sanders parallel world, he does sand pretty well on a Yamaha R1, besides, when you have a desert vehicle this cool who cares if it handles on sand :LOL: and when did it ever stop the american forces using an inappropriate vehicle?

:smiling3:

Andy, bet you never saw Foggy on one of these back in the Duc's glory days

Last edited:

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
LOL I am sure that Mr Sanders is a bit more adept at riding a bike than I am these days. I haven't sat on one for nearly thirty years. And I still miss them!!! :sad:

Ian M

A

andygh

Andy, bet you never saw Foggy on one of these back in the Duc's glory days
No, not quite like that :smile1: It would have made overtaking manoeuvres more interesting

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Great stuff, you must have had fun doing this model. The weathering and chipping are spot on.

Excellent pictures...Yep, a really first class presentation, well done.

Ron

M

m1ks

Have to admit, I've had bags of fun building this one, more so than the last few models I did, I really like going off on a tangent with the WHIF ideas as you can let your imagination run riot.

Thanks for the comments so far.

B

Bunkerbarge

Absolutely stunning, as I suspected it was going to be. I agree the gun doesn't add much and detracts from a stunning model in it's own right so I think it looks better without it as well. Fantastic use of materials, processes, experience and, most of all, imagination!

Brilliant model

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Can only agree,it looks fantastic. It sounds like you had a lot of fun building it and what a tremendous result.

Cheers

Steve

P

PROCO1970

:clap_1:Thats some bike you have made! Lot's of imagination! Not just the normal run of the mill " lets make a show room standard bike" Fantastic! Well Done!

P

PROCO1970

:bounce8:I had to post again it's that good! Would look good if they were to remake Mad Max, or Death Race 2000! Showing my age there. LOL!

T

treyzx10r

That is one top notch build Mike,you should be very pleased with the excellent results! I like it a lot ,nicely done Sir!!!

B

Buttonman

could use a set of nobbleys or sand tyres (piky piky) nice bike, bloke along the road's got a mad max special all cammed up and spikey. ex missus took my GSXR1100 in the divorce with eveything else.