Compressor advice please

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Afternoon

My compressor is giving up the ghost :angry:! After my problems yesterday and thinking i had set the air pressure too low i used it again today and the pressure was again very low, so adjusted and tried again and it will now not go over 10 psi despite numerous adjustments, checked the filter etc, airlines nothing found.

To be fair i bought it used and its many years old, its a iwata Smart jet and has been very good apart from its always on and does vibrate a far bit

So been looking around and I am focusing on two which John has, a Sparmax Arism or Iwata smart jet pro. They have very similar performance, but the Sparmax Arism has a 2 yr warranty and is about half the price of the Iwata. i heard that Sparmax make compressors or the parts for Iwata???

I do not need a high perforamce one, or one which runs two brushes as it will only be used for general modelling at low pressures, no more than 25 psi so both of these meet the bill

can anybody advise of has experiance of these please

thanks bob

Mr Bowcat

SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
I bought a Sparmax TC-610H a couple of years ago and have been more than pleased with it. It's a little more than the Arism, but does have an airtank so it's not constantly on. That may or may not be an issue for you.

I was originally looking at the AS-186 budget compressors (that appear to be the same as the Sparmax 610 but without the shroud) but after reading up on it decided to spend the extra on a known brand.

Last edited:

Gary MacKenzie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gary
I bought one of John's AS-189 compressors from him a few years ago ( via Amazon ) and I like it, a lot cheaper than either of the two you are looking at.

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Thanks Both

I think the larger one might be wasted on me, both the ones i am looking at both switch on/off when you press or release the brush trigger. Will have a look on Youtube next!

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
I've been using my AS 186 for many years - I bought it September 2013, for £75. It has run faultlessly ever since, I never give it any thought. It's quiet & portable................
Dave

Mr Bowcat

SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Thanks Both

I think the larger one might be wasted on me, both the ones i am looking at both switch on/off when you press or release the brush trigger. Will have a look on Youtube next!

That's fine if you can live with the compressor running all the time (when you are spraying). My setup is at one end of our through lounge so I'd get moaned at by the boss if I was running it constantly, hence why I bought one with a tank. :smiling3:

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
I use the garage, not nice!! If i used the house i would need new teeth:sad:

But when we eventually move i will be getting a room to do the lot!

• Wow
Reactions: JR

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Bob
I have an AS-186. It works fine BUT I really fancy the Sparmax TC-610H which Bob has. Personally I think an air tank is a must. I appreciate that Iwata and Sparmax both do quality compressors without a tank but I can't see how the air supply would not pulse especially at the initial moment the AB is operated.
Despite the AS-186 working fine and being used by loads of happy people it is a cheap, not very well made piece of kit. The Sparmax is in a different league.
John Race treated himself to a new compressor not long ago. Might be worth a pm if he doesn't post here.
Treat yourself as a retirement pressie.
I feel that in these strange times I really ought to treat myself :rolling: :tongue-out3: :smiling2:
Jim

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Good thinking Jim and thanks! This as a retirement pressie and the trumpy 1/ 16 StuG as a 60th birthday pressie!!!

Looking more likely that i will go for the 610, when l eventually get a room a more quiter compressor would be ideal!

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Hi Bob
I‘ve got the smart jet and it’s flawless. Quiet in use and just “works”. Air is pulseless despite not having a tank, and it switches off when you are not drawing air, so helping the noise issues associated with a compressor. Before this I had an AS-186 and the smart jet eats it whole and spits it out as bubbles.....

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Hi Bob
I‘ve got the smart jet and it’s flawless. Quiet in use and just “works”. Air is pulseless despite not having a tank, and it switches off when you are not drawing air, so helping the noise issues associated with a compressor. Before this I had an AS-186 and the smart jet eats it whole and spits it out as bubbles.....
thanks Tim

big fan of iwata, only issue is the price, about £100 more than the Sparmax!

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Hi Bob .
Had a 186 lasted 3 years then as Jim said bought a new one this year.

Iwata Smart Jet Pro Airbrush- 1 £208.32

104403 Quick Connect (2.7mm) As using H&S ab.

Very pleased, no tank as as Tim says, a lot quieter Tims description is perfect !

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
I knew I’d done this pitch before....it was on your thread wasn’t it John :thumb2:

Reactions: JR

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Also remember Bob, it’s not really pressure that matters, but airflow.....It means the recovery time for the compressor once you start using air is shorter, which could be why I don’t get a pulsing problem.

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Thats me back to square one lol

Thanks both for the input!
Bob

Mr Bowcat

SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Bob, my main hobby is target shooting, and there's a phrase used in that world which I think is pertinent here.

Buy once, cry once. :smiling3:

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Looks like the sparmax 610 will win, does a more, cheaper by £75+ and 2yr warranty and according to John iwata own them!!! No excuse for such a big differance in price and warranty

Thanks all Bob

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Bob
I have just treated myself to the Sparmax TC-610H from John. Pressie to self for being good and observing all Boris' rules :tongue-out3:
Jim