Compressor Advice

M

msm2

Looking to get a compressor real soon.What I would like to know would it be better to get one with a tank?

Tony..

K

Kai

ello fella well you got a great bunch here to help. I can give a bit of advice but not huge amounts. I airbrush as well as doing models so this is what I find helps

get a comp that has a tank or a system that gives pulse free air this is really a must or you will never get a smooth stream of air,

make sure you have somthing to clean the air and a moisture trap, small comps are the worst I have found they get hot and it gets worse.

I found a little Iwata unit on ebay and bought that for around £140 a smart jet turns on and off as you use it. Mine only goes up to 30psi I will get a better one that goes to 60 soon though better all round for me as its not just models I do. Im not sure if you can get them from the shop here but if you can I think you will get the best advice there is here.

Last edited:
M

msm2

Cheers Rik for the help. Will only be using it for modelling for the moment.

Tony..

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
I don't have one with a tank and to be honest i get good results from it. I am presently using the Clarke Wiz which i bought from MachineMart. I have a water trap/regulator inline. I haven't noted any real pulsing at the airbrush because the water trap acts like an accumulator and helps dampen out them.

I will upgrade at some point and it will have a tank but i know that won;t be for quite a while due to funds so this will defo keep me going until i'm flush again.

C

colprit

hi I bought one with a tank and two airbrushes from absolute airbrush and it works really well. This is an A186 compressor the same as in John's review on here, take a look it was about £117 when I bought it.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I'd agree with the above. Make sure you have an inline watertrap and regulator and I think a resevoir (tank) is desirable. I've used an old diaphragm compressor with no tank in the past and it worked okay, everyone is on a budget. Like anything else go for the best you can afford.

If you are just going to use it for aibrushing I can't imagine that you'd need to run at anything like 30psi! I do most of my work between 10psi and 15psi. I sometimes turn the pressure up a bit when I'm cleaning my airbrushes but not that much.

Cheers

Steve

B

backonthecase

My advice would be to buy a non-modelling one, as they're less likely to come at a premium price. I use a Clarke Tiger from MachineMart. It's about 2-3 years old and it only cost around £80 at the time. It has a tank, auto tank pressure, seperate control and gauge for the line pressure and a moisture drain.

I believe this is the one I have, although it's a bit more than I paid

Airmaster Tiger 8/44 Air Compressor - Machine Mart

HTH

Stuart

K

Kai

I did some courses here and they have some nice compressors

Airbrush Compressors

have a look and see what you think

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I don't want to add any further confusion but an important consideration that none of us have mentioned yet is noise. If you live in a mansion with a seperate out building for your modelling this may not be an issue but if like me you have neighbours,a partner who works from home and at one time children off early to bed it is a real consideration.

Some of the general purpose DIY/trade compressors can produce far more pressure than you will ever need and also far more noise. Some hobby compressors can make a bit of a racket so it's worth checking.

Cheers

Steve

M

msm2

Thats a very good point you have made Steve. Most of the ones which I have been looking at operate at the 54dB. I can reduce the noise level alittle with sound reducing material.

Tony..

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
The point Stone raised is a very good one. I will advise you to wait and buy the bset you can afford. Even if it means waiting longer.

The noise issue of the larger compressors is a BIG issue. If you can get one that has a refridgerator compresser. They are pretty quite. I got a cheap one to start with. It lasted about a week and it burned out. Got that replaced by the shop and after a week the 'new' one just could not deliver enough air!!!

I was a tiny bit lucky and got a rather nice one from work. Free which is always the best price. It leaked oil onto the control box that was missing its lid- Smoke all over the place and big panic.

So I got that and took it for repair. £5 for a couple of parts, a full service and it was as good as new!

Sounds like a fridge when they go into over time.

Ian M

M

msm2

I will wait a few more weeks before I purchase the compressor now,looking at possibly getting another airbrush to go with the compressor.

Tony..