Compressor Care advice

T

tecdes

Spoke to the Airbrush company that supplied my compressor as I suspected a problem. After switching off the pressure in the tank disappears after a few hours.

First advice they gave me, but not to solve my problem, was always empty the tank of pressure after use. Apparently it lessens the risk of corrosion in the tank & then less chance of this junk getting into the line feed.

Next was keep you compressor away from your area of airbrushing as much as possible. There are air intakes into the compressor & these have filters on them. If the filters get clogged with free paint spray they will affect the performance of the compressor. Associated was to check the filters now & then to ensure they are free. Pity the manufactures do not put that in their instructions.

My compressor is losing its pressure after switching off after about 6 hours. This may be due to corrosion or junk getting under the little plastic valves at the head of the piston pot. Just remove the plastic valve & clean (obviously after removing the piston head). There are in the model I have, AS Series, two of these plastic valves. If you do venture into the piston pot (only 4 screw allows entry) & remove the valves replace in the same position. Also replace the head in exactly the same relative position as dismantled. One valve is inlet the other I assume safety out let back into the piston pot. Get them the wrong way the compressor will do a St Vitus dance.

All this maintenance is dead easy as it is about the simplest machine I have ever seen.

Laurie

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
Thanks for the info Laurie.

My compressors have always lost pressure when turned off and left overnight, I just thought that was normal. One thing that is important to do if you have a compressor with a tank is to regularly drain the tank as moisture will build up inside.

Vaughan

T

tecdes

Yes you are right Vaughan this with emptying the tank of air after use will ensure minimum problems.

Seems the problem is the compressed air in the tank holds moisture which if left goes to water as the tank air which is warm when filling the tank cools.

Laurie

F

Fenlander

I need to get the tools out on mine. It runs OK, fills up the tank and cuts out with a reassuring 'Pink' sound. As I then start spraying and the pressure in the tank starts to drop, it kicks back in OK but stutters to turn off again, as though it does not know if to stop or not so the whole thing judders about until it finally cuts out. But if, when it initially fills the tank and cuts out cleanly I switch it off, I can spray for a while until I hear the pressure dropping and switch it back on, it fills up and cuts out fine.

So, a good run at filling the tank and all is well, trying to top up and it has a problem. I assume this must be a sticking pressure switch but would like to hear if anyone else has had this problem.

T

tecdes

Perhaps to start Graham open up the piston head & clean the little valves out & see if this makes a difference. At least it will eliminate one source.

Laurie

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
Graham I had exactly the same problem as you are experiencing but luckily it was still under warranty and I got a replacement. It does sound like it could be a sticking pressure switch.

Vaughan

T

tecdes

Now that is a reminder Vaughan.

Graham the chap who gave advice this morning also mentioned the pressure switch. He said there is a filter inside it which if clogged will not work as it should do.

He told me, this is for my switch not sure if yours is the same, that it is in two parts but look as though it is one piece. Unscrew one from the other. Advice use a vice to hold one end. Then clean the filter inside the switch.

Laurie

F

Fenlander

Thanks for the info, I will have to give this a try or get a new pressure switch, I am 99% convinced this is the problem.