Compressor pimping

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
After a while I got tired of every time I needed to adjust the air pressure valve I had to crawl under the desk to do it, also having two airbrushed on the one regulator was not optimal either. Sooooo

after a trip to the DIY store I sat down and had a rethink.

Cleared up under the desk so the compressor can stand at the front where I can reach the darn thing.

While I was at it I took it out side and emptied the tank! There was almost a litre of "emulsion" lurking in the tank. This is now in a jug in the shed settling out to see how much is water and how much is oil...... I might need a top up.

took off the old regulator and mounted Two new ones. I had to try three places before I could find one without am auto oiler in it!!!

To cut a long story short, a couple of couplings, a T-piece and a couple of nipples all mixed up with a roll of PTFT tape I ended up with this:

View attachment 51647

So all nice and clean and ready to go. I just need one more coupling and I can switch between airbrushes in a jiffy as well- Why didn't I think of this earlier???

Ian m

View attachment 54232

IMAG0663.jpg

T

tecdes

Wow Ian my dad had one of those it was called a primus stove.

Laurie

mossiepilot

A learner learning
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tony
No relation to Heath Robinson :emo:

Tony.

OK I'll leave now.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Due to high energy prices in Denmark Ian has in fact built the world's first domestic nuclear reactor!

I have to scrabble under my bench to adjust the output pressure from my compressor. Luckily I can't remember the last time I did so :smiling3:

Steve

T

tecdes

Your reaction please Ian !!!!!!!!!!!!!

No hiding under that bench.

Laurie

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Am I going to rise to the bait?

Nope. But I would of thought that your dad didn't use a Primus. More a flint and tinder thing.

Atomic power? in Denmark are you nuts Steve. DK is nuclear free zone, even though we do live more or less between Risø research station, and Barsebæk in Sweden, so if one of them goes pop we're going to be glowing in the dark for a long time.

The Primus is actually an MGF compressor, an Italian firm I think. 50ltr tank and almost silent, which due to the compressor part makes it nearer a fridge than a cooker.

Ian M

First Name
Andy
\ said:
Due to high energy prices in Denmark Ian has in fact built the world's first domestic nuclear reactor!
They use wood power over there even in their vehicles, so I'm guessing it's a wood powered compressor...

T

tecdes

No Ian a Primus Stove was for picnics mid century (last one). Worked by pumping meths in the tank to the burner above. Pre heat using supplied flint & tinder (superior mini size) the burner with meths then taking life into one's hands release the meths & get singed hair or a foul cup of tea. Tea I am sure suffered from meths fumes.

Actually I am jealous Ian your compressor looks much safer than a primus & better than mine, compressor that is Primus long gone.

Laurie

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Laurie we had Primus stoves and Tilly lamps when I was a nipper growing up in West Africa. Both ran on Paraffin or Kerosene. The Primus was pre-heated with something else which may have been Meths. It was a long time ago and I was quite young and wouldn't have been allowed to handle anything so flammable !

Both seemed incredibly dangerous to me,only my father was allowed to pump them up,but I don't remember any accidents.

Cheers

Steve

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I have had a Primus, and also one of its modern counterparts, A coleman which is for all intents and purpose that same thing.

You are correct in saying one has to watch the eyebrows. Definitely not the kind of thing to use in a tent! (or under a fishing umbrella, Ask me how I know).

Joking a side, its the best compressor I have ever had. Not only is it quiet but also has humph enough to run a nail gun on. (very handy for those really stubborn joints). The best of all was I got it for free!!!

Ian M

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
'ffraid not Laurie.

I got it from work as it was being thrown out due to almost setting the shop ablaze....

Ian M