Compressor Question

D

dodge

Apologies if this has been asked before.

I am making the leap into airbrushing. I have managed to get hold of a second hand iwata HP-C which I am chuffed to bits with. I need a compressor to go with it. Looking at my options I am thinking along the lines of either an AS196 with the twin motors and storage tank

or trying to save some extra cash and get an Iwata Studio Series Smart Jet.

Now looking at the two, the first is half the price of an Iwata and comes with twin motors and a storage tank. The Iwata has no storage tank and is twice the price so my question is what makes the Iwata worth that much more money or am I trying to compare a VW Polo to a Ferrari 430?

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
The one you are looking at is a very good compressor,adequate for your needs. I've been using the single motored version of that very set up for the last few years.

I think with Iwata you are paying for quality but also the name. I've never owned an Iwata compressor but I've never heard a bad word about them.

Cheers

Steve

G

Gomer Pyle

I would step down to a smaller compressor with just one motor, and a smaller tank. If you are not going to use more than one AB at the time, you can easily save your money and go with a 3-Liter tank filled by one pump.

/Daniel

john

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
First Name
John
I use the AS189 never had any problems with it and it has a 3ltr receiver tank, with iwata I think apart from getting a quality product you are also getting the extended warranty that is offered with iwata products.

D

dodge

Thanks for all of your replies. I think I am going to go for the AS196 and save myself some money. More to spend on the other bits I will need :smiling3:

T

tcarnell

\ said:
I use the AS189 never had any problems with it and it has a 3ltr receiver tank, with iwata I think apart from getting a quality product you are also getting the extended warranty that is offered with iwata products.
I've seen the SprayMaster CP04 on eBay for £79.95. Has anyone had experience of using this compressor? What are people's opinions of this model?

Tony.

B

blitzbob

hi

i've just got the as182 still trying to work out how the reg works.

A

Andy C62

As a newbie to airbrushing, I decided on the same one as John, the AS189. I was very surprised when I used it, very quiet and the tank is excellent. Regulator is simple as even I can use it.

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
I use the AS186 and it is excellent.

john

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
First Name
John
\ said:
hii've just got the as182 still trying to work out how the reg works.
Turn all the way anti-clockwise, connect your AB turn a little clockwise, blast from AB, turn a little more, blast, etc until you get to the correct PSI, 15-20 should be ok