Compressor question.

outrunner

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Just though I would ask the collective, do I really need a compressor with an air tank? It is not as if I am painting square yards of stuff, just models, and I tend to paint a bit at a time so the compressor is not used to the limit. Sorry if this has been asked before, I did a search but nothing came up but perhaps I asked the wrong Question. I notice on looking about there is only about £20 difference in price between tank and no tank so maybe this is a silly question.

Andy.

KarlW

Mediocre modeller extraodinaire.
SMF Supporter
First Name
Karl
If you can get one do, it helps smooth out the airflow from the pulses of the piston. Though there are loads that say it makes no difference to them. and I have never used an tankless compressor.

dave

SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Go with a tank, i Think it makes it easier to control as Karl said removes pulsing.

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
I’ve got both types and personally can’t tell the difference with air delivery - never noticed any pulsing

The tank does however mean that the compressor runs a lot less often so you don’t get constantly bombarded with the noise

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
I’ve used both sorts. My current one is tankless and I don’t notice any pulsing at all. It also has auto cut off so only runs when I actually spray. Personally i think that if it’s well designed and of decent quality either design will suit.

outrunner

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Used my tankless compressor for the first time the other day and can see no difference between the one I had borrowed which had a tank and the new one. Even with a cooling fan it is quieter than the other, got it from Bartsharp with free 2 day delivery.

Andy.