Compressors

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Hi gang following the demise of the 186 I don't fancy another so been looking around on line
Any one gave one of these . Will look for some more later and some photos.

Any ideas.?

Sparmax AC-501X Airbrush Compressor

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Hi John
I have one of these.....
it is a cut above the 186 I replaced with it. Much quieter and higher air delivery.

• Love
Reactions: JR

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Compared to my old 186 it is a revelation. Despite the tank the 186 used to pulse badly, mostly because the air delivery was poor. I think I had a bad one, but it probably shows quality control on the cheaper kit is probably pretty poor. some I’m sure are excellent, but I‘m also sure that for every good one out there a fair percentage of duffers also exist.
The smart jet is flawless. Even without a tank it doesn’t pulse, it is much quieter, delivers far more air so doesn’t run continuously, and is a pleasure to use. In summary, it does everything it should with no fuss......it’s already outlasted my 186 by several years, three times the price could well give three times the life, and be trouble free throughout....in effect it allows me to forget about the air and just think about the paint and airbrush.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Looking at the specs John the Sparmax looks pretty good to me, close to the Iwatta.

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Fair enough Tim. Yes, 3X the price could well mean at least 3X the life. I suspect that many of the 186s are copies of copies of the original design, so some are worse than others. Mine came from John at Scale Model Shop so perhaps it's one of the better ones.
I don't understand how your Smart Jet compressor doesn't pulse if it doesn't have a tank though.
Pete

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Hi John
I have one of these.....
it is a cut above the 186 I replaced with it. Much quieter and higher air delivery.
Hi Tim, yes that's the one I went for in the end, and good to read you rate it.

Found this out while searching .
The Sparmax brand was started by Ding Hwa Co., Ltd., and used as its corporate brand. As of July 1st, 2018, Ding Hwa Co., Ltd. and Anest Iwata Corporation (Japan) formed a joint venture in which the Sparmax brand was transferred to the newly formed venture: "Anest Iwata Sparmax Co., Ltd." ( Made in Taiwan , they have two factories.

Decided to take the plung and get the full Iwata, wanted some thing well made for once, no doubt the old 186'S are ok, but mine started to made odd sounds ! , and I know many people swear by them.

Going to have to keep my gardening job ! Spent enough in January on add on's ! Can't take it with me :upside::upside::upside:

1580656160968.png

Time will tell, if I don't return you know why !!!!!!!

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Hi Peter, neither do I, but it doesn’t........and the 186 shouldn’t have but it did.....

Good call John, I found airbrushing went from a chore to a pleasure. The compressor actually made more difference to me than changing the airbrush....

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi John
You can only spend it once and there are no pockets in shrouds :smiling: Looks like a great piece of kit.
Jim

• Love

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Hi Peter, neither do I, but it doesn’t........and the 186 shouldn’t have but it did.....

Good call John, I found airbrushing went from a chore to a pleasure. The compressor actually made more difference to me than changing the airbrush....
Thanks Tim, have seem video on U Tube from Scale War Machines, it looks a neat machine . Have always liked their reports on stuff in the past.

Hi John
You can only spend it once and there are no pockets in shrouds :smiling: Looks like a great piece of kit.
Jim
Spot on Jim:thumb2:.

John .