Concrete effects 1/72?

GerryW

Rest In Peace
First Name
Gerry
Thinking ahead about my next planned project (been on 'simmer' for ages!) going to need to do a house with 'pebble-dash' walls (not needing to age it, as it'd only been built less than 10 years) obviously, the pebbles were of varying colours and sizes (max being about half an inch), and completely random patterns.
Any suggestions for getting the right effect?
My initial thoughts are 'flicked' paint brush and devil take the texture.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
In 1:72, you’d barely see the actual texture. I think I’d paint it like you suggest too: (tooth)brush with paint and scrape along it with something to fling the paint off onto the building. You don’t have much to lose by trying it out on one wall, I’d say — if it fails, repaint?

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Couldn't you mix some fine sand/dust in your paint? I'm also sure I've seen adverts for textured paint, though I can't remember who makes it.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Interesting question and good suggestions.

I've just had a 'play' with various implements :flushed:

I've come up with this.
I used a wire brush and stippled the building wall. Then washed on some acrylic paint.

P1300152.JPG

Cheers.
Ron

GerryW

Rest In Peace
First Name
Gerry
Couldn't you mix some fine sand/dust in your paint? I'm also sure I've seen adverts for textured paint, though I can't remember who makes it.
Dulux and ICI make them ;) but yes, can do that - friend once painted a motorbike (Russian 350 'Planeta' or 'Jupiter') using paint mixed with talc
Interesting question and good suggestions.

I've just had a 'play' with various implements :flushed:

I've come up with this.
I used a wire brush and stippled the building wall. Then washed on some acrylic paint.

View attachment 424133

Cheers.
Ron
That's a great result!:thumb2: Standard (welding) wire brush?
Looking very similar to what I'll have to do - even to the few courses of bricks at the bottom!

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Depends upon which type of pebbledash you are trying to replicate Gerry.

Ron’s approach will work for this finish....
909F51CC-8328-464B-9EBB-392F96FDF05C.jpeg

Yours and Jakkos approach should work for this finish.
12721FA7-8EA3-4220-A6ED-5DA25BF7A3A2.jpeg

The only other approach I can think of is to use an appropriate grade sand paper as a finish to the wall and paint (dry brush and stipple for the colouring) to suit. Can’t help thinking that it’s a bit of a faff though, so I’d go with one of the two above.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Gerry. I don't know what size wire a standard welding brush has. :upside: I just used one of a pack I bought from a pound shop!
Keep in mind, my approach would obviously work for any sort of colouring too, so there :tongue-out3:

Isn't this forum great? A call for help and the Cavalry comes storming over the hill to help......

General George Armstrong Custer June 26, 1876 (Full of arras)

GerryW

Rest In Peace
First Name
Gerry
Depends upon which type of pebbledash you are trying to replicate Gerry.

Ron’s approach will work for this finish....
View attachment 424137

Yours and Jakkos approach should work for this finish.
View attachment 424138

The only other approach I can think of is to use an appropriate grade sand paper as a finish to the wall and paint (dry brush and stipple for the colouring) to suit. Can’t help thinking that it’s a bit of a faff though, so I’d go with one of the two above.
See what you mean, your top photo is how it looks after being painted, it's going to have to be like the bottom picture

GerryW

Rest In Peace
First Name
Gerry
Gerry. I don't know what size wire a standard welding brush has. :upside: I just used one of a pack I bought from a pound shop!
Keep in mind, my approach would obviously work for any sort of colouring too, so there :tongue-out3:

Isn't this forum great? A call for help and the Cavalry comes storming over the hill to help......

General George Armstrong Custer June 26, 1876 (Full of arras)
Sounds like my sort of wire brush! :thumb2: Mine are all from either Wilkinsons or car boot sales

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
This has gripped me!
To try and be of more help, I've had a couple more goes to see if it can be coloured using a wire brush for the initial texture.
Bearing in mind the model will probably be viewed from a scale distance, individual colours in the pebble dash will never be seen and be more 'blurred', so I've had a couple of goes at the wall again.

Keep in mind the picture is way, way to close for 1/72.
P1300154.JPG

Anyway, enough from me. Just try all the excellent methods suggested.

I look forward to the actual build.

Ron

GerryW

Rest In Peace
First Name
Gerry
This has gripped me!
To try and be of more help, I've had a couple more goes to see if it can be coloured using a wire brush for the initial texture.
Bearing in mind the model will probably be viewed from a scale distance, individual colours in the pebble dash will never be seen and be more 'blurred', so I've had a couple of goes at the wall again.

Keep in mind the picture is way, way to close for 1/72.
View attachment 424143

Anyway, enough from me. Just try all the excellent methods suggested.

I look forward to the actual build.

Ron
That's a great effect, now wondering if I'll be able to get similar :tongue-out3:
I'll give all of them a go, and see what I get - take it that it's foam board that you're using Ron?

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Sorry Gerry, I should have mentioned, yes, it is foam board.

Of course you will get similar. No question. :thumb2:

Good luck whichever way you jump......And make sure you have fun doing it!

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
personally I would use spray cans in 3 or 4 colours, sprayed from a distance (flat) for a 'speckle' finish, then a hefty coat of matt lacquer quick before all the dots of paint fall off- you will even have the texture

GerryW

Rest In Peace
First Name
Gerry
personally I would use spray cans in 3 or 4 colours, sprayed from a distance (flat) for a 'speckle' finish, then a hefty coat of matt lacquer quick before all the dots of paint fall off- you will even have the texture
That's an idea, though I'm not that good with spray cans - usually fairly grotty results. But definitely worth bearing in mind.

Airborne01

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
There are 'spackle' spray paints. Overpaint as appropriate and sand down if required!

Airborne01

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
You mean like the 'stone effect' paints that you can get?
Gerry
Yes - they are very useful (albeit somewhat expensive), but there are also craft paints that have textured finishes; some are lurid colours but are easily subdued with an appropriate overspray, others are more or less 'granular' but can be moderated with a judicious application of fine grade glasspaper. The initial perception may be adverse but a little lateral thinking can often turn these to your advantage - who dares wins!