Condor 1/72 Mig-25PD - mojo returning slowly...............

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
After, for me, a long absence from a blog, I'm going to ease back into this with a real unknown................cn72016.jpg

Condor are a manufacturer from the Ukraine - according to ' Scalemates ' the Mig-25 is their own moulds - and have been reboxed by Zvezda.
I'll put up some sprue & detail shots tomorrow - but they don't look bad - engraved detail, the transparencies are a bit cloudy, and the cockpit detail is a bit sparse, but the canopy is so small you won't see much!
I made the ICM 1/48 Mig-25RBT last year, probably the best engineered model I have ever made. I'm not expecting this to be as detailed, or go together as well, but I paid less than £10 delivered via an ebay auction - I've seen reviews with pictures of fuselages showing filler applied liberally with a butter knife, but I wonder if the reviewers had ever heard of dry fitting! - Anyway I will find out........................
Dave

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Dave
Glad you're back. This is very much an unknown quantity. Interested to see what you make of it. Hope it doesn't turn out to be a mojo sapper.
Jim

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
I hope for your sake that this doesn't turn out like the Kitech Mig 25 that PJ bought! That one's enough to sap the mojo from anyone!

Not sure if I'd pick a kit from an unknown manufacturer as a mojo builder. I think I'd prefer to go with something easy from Tamiya where I'd be less likely to meet problems which would put me off.

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
A nice bright evening - so I took some sprue shots & details............P1060432.JPGP1060433.JPGP1060434.JPGP1060435.JPG

P1060436.JPG

Both Russian and Libyan versions..................P1060437.JPGP1060439.JPGP1060440.JPGP1060441.JPGP1060442.JPGP1060443.JPG

Some parts will need a bit of clean up, but not too bad - a few injector pin marks, but no short shots or distortions.
I just hope it will end up looking approximately like thisfin 02.jpg
Dave

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Aah Condor! ( viewers under the age of forty will have no idea what that’s referencing!,) This brings back memories Dave , I built one of these for the Cold War GB a few years back , my build log might prove useful during your build . I’m on the iPad And haven’t had it long so don’t know how to copy and link the thread title so you’ll have to use the search facility , put in ‘Foxbat’ and yak face in the members box and it should bring up the build thread and the completed thread , hope this helps , cheers tony

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Tony,
Many thanks for your pointers just read through your blogs on the Condor Foxbat - I suspected that the wing joint was going to be a problem, that was confirmed. Mine is the PD version - what the difference is is not clear, unless it's the central external fuel tank, or the ability to carry paired Aphid missiles on the outer pylons - a few photo references will have to be consulted...........
Dave
Ah yes, the Condor moment! Along with St Bruno....................... when was the last time you saw anyone smoking a pipe?

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
The PD was outwardly the same as the P ,just a different radar and slightly different engines / exhausts . The other difference is as you say the ability to carry a pair of Aphids on the outer pylons .

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
I’m on the iPad And haven’t had it long so don’t know how to copy and link the thread title
Go to the page, make sure the full address bar is showing (tap it if it’s just a thin bar at the top of the screen), and then tap the URL. It will expand to show the whole URL and select it (pale blue background), while the keyboard also comes up at the bottom of the screen. At the top left of that keyboard is a “copy” icon that looks like two squares, next to the scissors icon. Tap the one with the two squares.

Next, write your reply to the message, and to put the link into it, press the Paste button at the top left of the keyboard. It looks like a clipboard with an empty square in front of it, and is next to the two curved arrows (those are for undo and redo). If the icon is grey, you can’t paste because you haven’t copied anything that can be pasted.

Lee Drennen

Box Stock Builder with a Twist/ Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Great to see you are back Dave great looking kit

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Next step: hiding the ugly URL :smiling3: Tap the “chain” icon in the button bar above the text field, paste the URL into the “URL” field and type the text you want to be clickable into the “Text” field, then of course tap the “Insert” button.

Alternatively, type a square bracket [ followed by the text you want to be a link, then the matching square bracket ] and a parentheses (, then paste the URL, and type the closing parentheses ). That is, like this:

Code:
[The Scale Models Forum site](https://www.scale-models.co.uk)

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
They are, but typing is easier with an actual keyboard.

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Plastic & Cement meet..............P1060444.JPG
A fair amount of clean up & edge preparation - but fit is reasonable, at the moment. I can see that the single piece wings to the stub on the fuselage is going to be troublesome, but I hope to use plastic card & strip to minimise the use of filler. So far, so good!
Dave

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
You can already tell from that photo that it’s not going to be a small model.

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
A really dark, depressing, wet day - very Autumnal! glad I don't have to go out.
This is NOT going to be a tail sitter - for once there is plenty of room - bb & CA........P1060445.JPG

Here will be the problem area..........wings dry fitted from aboveP1060446.JPG

Large trenches! I'll have to sort that!

P1060447.JPG
Underside starboard wing................
P1060448.JPG
Underside port wing...............
My plan is to adjust the fit, to give the best possible joint on the upper surface. This will probably cause something nasty on the underside - but the underside will be partly covered by the undercarriage doors, and the huge Acrid missile on the inner pylons and hopefully large filler areas won't be too obvious!
The forward fuselage joined ( seams to be addressed ), and a generic pilot sourced from the spare crew room - I had to chop the poor guys feet off to get him to fitP1060449.JPG
The cockpit glazing is so small, just a vague impression of occupancy will suffice!
Not going badly...............
Dave

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Odd that they have pretty nice engraved panel lines, but then attach the wings so poorly.

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
I adjusted the wing stubs ( scraping, filing, paring ) to give the best fit on the more visible top surface
P1060450.JPG

This left both wing undersurfaces like this.............P1060452.JPG

And, after a little work, one side looks like this...................
P1060451.JPG

A little more work, then I'll prime the area to show up any flaws, then gently rescribe some panel lines.
Dave

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Dave
Certainly not a relaxing, throw it together build. Looks as if you have things under control. Agree with Jakko regarding the oddness of areas of quality and then poor fit.
Jim