Confused

Bortig the Viking

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mark
Hi all, can someone help, I intend to use Vallejo metal paint then put a Vallejo metal varnish on, my question is two fold I need to paint some parts Vallejo color or Tamiya paint or washes, so do I do this first then put on Vallejo metal varnish or afterwards then what varnish do I use Tamiya, Vallejo metal or just the ordinary Vallejo varnish. I getting totally confused.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Well the normal reply to a question like that is this.
Find a plastic bottle, prime it and paint it as you would your model. Same paints and all. It is the only real way to be certain that the products that you intend to use are compatible with each other.
Generally speaking it is normally ok to put acrylic over enamel and visa versa. They do however need to be not only dry but cured. That is left to dry HARD for a couple of days.
You probable could go at it sooner, but what is the easiest. to wait a day of two extra, or trash the paint job and start again.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
I’d use a kit’s sprue or a bit of plastic card for it rather than a plastic bottle, but otherwise I agree that the best way to resolve questions like this is to just try it.

(As an aside, I’ve observed for years that new modellers these days seem to be almost fixated on getting answers about how things will work out before doing anything they don’t know for certain yet, when there is usually nothing at all to lose by just giving it a go — asking questions on forums will certainly take more time than just doing it :smiling3:)

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
I’d use a kit’s sprue or a bit of plastic card for it rather than a plastic bottle, but otherwise I agree that the best way to resolve questions like this is to just try it.

(As an aside, I’ve observed for years that new modellers these days seem to be almost fixated on getting answers about how things will work out before doing anything they don’t know for certain yet, when there is usually nothing at all to lose by just giving it a go — asking questions on forums will certainly take more time than just doing it :smiling3:)

A wise man learns from other people’s mistakes

Bortig the Viking

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mark
Hi, thanks for the info, have tried it as I proceed with the paint, we had some plastic spoons indoors, now mine, as for asking the questions, for me I prefer to ask , check twice do once, as I've mentioned on here before I suffer with mental health and sometimes just going for it can back fire on me, hence the questions, hope you all understand, don't put me off otherwise I'll never get anywhere and I'm enjoying the hobby and forum.

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Mark. I have no problems with people asking questions on here. Yes there is a search facility that can most probably find the answer you seek but, asking will always provide an answer too.

Now about the mental health. A few of us on here suffer with it to one degree or the other and with different issues. I have anxiety and depression. So you are not alone. We're an open bunch on here so never feel alone. And if you ever need an ear to bend. Then feel free to pm me

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
A wise man learns from other people’s mistakes
True, but there’s a lot you can learn from making your own mistakes too. Especially if you don’t stand to lose more than a few drops of paint, some glue, a little time, etc.

as I've mentioned on here before I suffer with mental health and sometimes just going for it can back fire on me, hence the questions, hope you all understand, don't put me off otherwise I'll never get anywhere
I didn’t know that, but my comment wasn’t aimed specifically at you — I certainly don’t mean to put you off, it was mostly just me wondering out loud, as a general observation based mainly on Warhammer forums I used to read.

Last edited:

Bortig the Viking

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mark
Mark. I have no problems with people asking questions on here. Yes there is a search facility that can most probably find the answer you seek but, asking will always provide an answer too.

Now about the mental health. A few of us on here suffer with it to one degree or the other and with different issues. I have anxiety and depression. So you are not alone. We're an open bunch on here so never feel alone. And if you ever need an ear to bend. Then feel free to pm me
Thanks for that, it means alot.

Bortig the Viking

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mark
True, but there’s a lot you can learn from making your own mistakes too. Especially if you don’t stand to lose more than a free drops of paint, some glue, a little time, etc.

I didn’t know that, but my comment wasn’t aimed specifically at you — I certainly don’t mean to put you off, it was mostly just me wondering out loud, as a general observation based mainly on Warhammer forums I used to read.
Don't worry, I can be a bit sensitive at times.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
I was always under the impression that this is what a forum is about, helping one another, and a mutual liking of the hobby.

I was told a long time ago the no question is silly, I ought to know as I've asked most of them.:smiling2:
Far better to ask than to ruin something you have spent hrs building, or post your effort and only to be told " I could have warned you about that "

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Yes the forum is for that John. But there is also a search facility too to help find answers. I will always says use the search and ask. But there has been times on this forum when the same question is asked every week and i have to admit it gets tedious to answer it.

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Yes the forum is for that John. But there is also a search facility too to help find answers. I will always says use the search and ask. But there has been times on this forum when the same question is asked every week and i have to admit it gets tedious to answer it.
Fair enough Al, but do you mean in the various sections ?
I did find it easier to ask when I post and hope that a friend will answer.
In future I will pm friends then if questions are too tedious to answer .:sad:

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
I don't mean tedious in that respect John. What i meant is when you get questions such as 'Which is better - Vallejo or Tamiya'. Those sort of questions that at one point, were being asked every week. I am NOT saying in the slightest, don't ask questions. What i am saying is that there is a fully functioning search facility that can go some way to helping you find the answers you may require. By all means ask questions. But if the same question is posted a couple of posts down then i for one cannot see the point and it becomes less likely for replies to be given.

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
I don't mean tedious in that respect John. What i meant is when you get questions such as 'Which is better - Vallejo or Tamiya'. Those sort of questions that at one point, were being asked every week. I am NOT saying in the slightest, don't ask questions. What i am saying is that there is a fully functioning search facility that can go some way to helping you find the answers you may require. By all means ask questions. But if the same question is posted a couple of posts down then i for one cannot see the point and it becomes less likely for replies to be given.
Oh I can certainly agree with you on that about what paint Al.
I had just had a nightmare fitting some Tiger wheels, if Steve hadn't had the time to post some photos I'd have probably set fire to it.:smiling3:

MikeC

SMF Supporter
Has left the Building
First Name
Michael
Mark, spray on the Vallejo metal paint. I take it you are using the Metal Color range, then use the varnish to seal the metal colour as it has a tendancy to partially come off. Then once the varnish has has about 24 hours to really dry then add your other paint.
I have used this method on my tracks (Churchill b/layer), and saved myself a lot of pain. The other I use is the AK Xtreme metal, this is a lot more stable put stinks a bit, so open a window or use in a spray booth.
Hope this helps
Mike.

Bortig the Viking

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mark
Ok got that first part, now when I apply the Tamiya etc do I then apply a varnish over that, if so will any do ?

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
On top of Tamiya i use either Vallejo, Klear or Hannants. Choice is yours really.

Reactions: JR

Bortig the Viking

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mark
Thanks to everyone, I think I'm on top of everything now, hopefully next post will be of the Bentley 2 attempt, after my last hiccup where it went pear shaped. :thumb2: :smiling3: