Connection point for co axial IR searchlight t-72AV

Steven

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steven
Hello everyone
I am constructing a dio with a syrian T-72
More info here: https://www.scale-models.co.uk/threads/saa-t-72a-labna-ca-2014.37433/
I am super detailing and wiring the co- axial IR searchlight cf picture My question is: on vehicles with ERA blocks where does the wiring connect to turret main electrical system?
The connection point on vehicles without ERA blocks seems to have been moved on vehicles with ERA but I can't find a reference pic that show where....

Attachments

• 20211026_211409.jpg
    20211026_211409.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 9

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
I don't know, but Forgotten Weapons has 3 videos of an ex-Syrian T72
Pete

Steven

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steven
Steve to the Rescure! Tankograd pt II on the T-72 gave med what I Needed Well, sort of- Cheers mate:thumb2:
wirering runs under the ERA blocks or maybe between them....as can be seen on this where they have been removed

Attachments

• Inkeddetalje om ledningsføring for IR på tårn V_LI med indtegning.jpg
    Inkeddetalje om ledningsføring for IR på tårn V_LI med indtegning.jpg
    878.6 KB · Views: 10

Andy the Sheep

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrea
Steve to the Rescure! Tankograd pt II on the T-72 gave med what I Needed Well, sort of- Cheers mate:thumb2:
wirering runs under the ERA blocks or maybe between them....as can be seen on this where they have been removed
If I may add a further and backing point, what Steve says must be right, considering that ERA blocks explode outwards to interfere as much as possible with the forming of the high pressure melted metal jet produced by the HEAT warhead, so any cable (or any other object/living being) laying on them would be crushed as the ERA is activated.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
melted metal jet produced by the HEAT warhead
(Sorry, pet peeve of mine …) The jet (and slug) of a HEAT round are not melted metal :smiling3: They are cool enough to still be solid, but because of the extreme speed of the impact against armour (in the order of 8000 m/s) both the jet/slug and the armour flow away as if they’re liquid. HEAT liners have been cut into sections, re-assembled into a warhead and then fired into a pool of water; out of this pool came nicely sectioned parts of the slug corresponding to the pieces of the liner.

Andy the Sheep

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrea
(Sorry, pet peeve of mine …) The jet (and slug) of a HEAT round are not melted metal :smiling3: They are cool enough to still be solid, but because of the extreme speed of the impact against armour (in the order of 8000 m/s) both the jet/slug and the armour flow away as if they’re liquid. HEAT liners have been cut into sections, re-assembled into a warhead and then fired into a pool of water; out of this pool came nicely sectioned parts of the slug corresponding to the pieces of the liner.
I know, Jakko, and no pet peeves of you ;)
HEAT jets and armours work as a liquid in those peculiar conditions as well as APFSDs when "interacting" with their targets' armour,... and DU is definitely not a liquid... it's just my English language proficiency that limits my texts, sometimes...:sad-face: and the fear of being too much on the James May side...:smiling4:

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
It’s not your English skills, it’s every popular source that talks about “molten metal” or “jets of hot metal” or similar phrases when talking about HEAT warheads. So I thought you were just following those :smiling3:

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
The question was in which spot the cable for the searchlight, comes out of the turret.

David Lovell

SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Well I never ,I thought it was some sort of scientific discussion on diffrent types ordinance

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Oh, that. That’s called topic drift :smiling3: