Contamination...a salutory tale.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Got back from work earlier than anticipated,SWMBO was out and I thought "I know what I'l do,I'll spray the propeller of my Fw190".

I dug out some Xtracrylix RLM 70 stuck it in the paint cup and added a few drops of water from a mug I had handy for cleaning. I mixed the paint up,it looked about right so I gave a test squirt onto a a bit of paper. The airbrush spattered a coarse mess onto the paper and clogged up! I thought I'd add a bit more water from the mug and that's when I noticed that the water,and presumably the pastette I was using to drop it into the paint cup,were contaminated with lacquer thinners. Lacquer thinners seems to change Xtracrylix paint into a sticky plastic mess.

The moral of this tale is don't get laquer thinners in your Xtracrylix and always have a little test before you point the airbrush at your model.

I cleaned everything up and the prop is now a suitable "schwarzgrun" colour.

Cheers

Steve

T

tecdes

Yes not good Steve. Did a similar thing a few weeks ago.

Senior moment put white spirit thinners in with acrylic. Daft thing was when it thickened up a bit I added more white spirit then more.

Gooey messed up airbrush. Yucks what a mess.

On the trail of memory pills !

Laurie

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Still not as bad as chuckin' your pipette with airbrush cleaner into your tea cup instead of the empty jam jar next to it.....

White spirit in Acrylic. Yep done that too. Does make a mess don't it!

Ian M

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I feel better now I know I'm not the only one!

Cheers

Steve

T

tecdes

Feeling better. Bit optimistic there Steve.

Just proves that there are at least 3 nutters on this forum.

Although trying to gain attention by contaminating your tea is one further down the road ! You know who you are !

Laurie