Continental Line Officer Bust

• Thread starter Deleted member 6559
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 6559

100_7842.JPG

Back to the busts and this time a Captain of the 1st Virginia Continental Line, 1781. This is by Michael Roberts Ltd, a manufacturer that is hard to get hold of in the UK, this being in an end-of-line sale at El Greco. I've done one other before, a Continental fifer in 120mm:

100_7841.JPG

It's a simple two part figure, beautifully sculpted and cast:

100_7840.JPG

KarlW

Mediocre modeller extraodinaire.
SMF Supporter
First Name
Karl
Is he meant to look a bit like Mel Gibson do you think?
As usual I'll be here, lurking........

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Morning Peter
Front and centre please. Love the hat :tongue-out3:
Jim

D

Deleted member 6559

Karl - Possibly is meant to be Gibson-like, but I think my version's looking a bit more Charlton Heston for some reason.

Jim - The hat will be tricky as it's mostly black, even the rosette.

Jason - Counted in.

First pass at the head:

100_7843.JPG100_7844.JPG

The hair is just blocked-in for now.

D

Deleted member 6559

Ralph - Cheers.

Peter - Thanks. I had wondered if the box art showed the bust from the side for a reason, as sometimes happens, and the eyes are in fact a bit mismatched. However the hat being pulled low over the left eye perhaps explains the anomaly.

SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
Morning Peter

Another super start with a niche subject, looks bright and colourful for when you get to the body too.

Enjoy the seaside and the fresh ozone/salt fueled air, good for whatever ails you.

And the family too.

I'm off to the garage to play with the hisssy stick for awhile

Regards

Steve H

Reactions: JR

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Morning beach goer, hope it's good weather and not blowing a storm.
Agree with Peter G on the eyes, great painting indeed.
I'll take a seat next to Jim.

D

Deleted member 6559

Mr Brodie - Thank you.

Steve - The weather is just about holding up, so we might be in with a chance for a picnic on the beach. It will nice to have a break from the paintbrush anyway. Granddaughter has her swimming costume at the ready. May your AB remain unblocked.

John - 30% chance of rain after midday, but we're going to risk it. Glad you like Squinty.

D

Deleted member 6559

Here you go:

100_7851.JPG100_7853.JPG100_7852.JPG

I decided to crack on and finish this one, as for some reason I wasn't really enjoying painting it. The quality was a bit iffy for one thing and the sculpt was a bit under par in some areas for another.

I left the hat till last, painted it, then found that it didn't fit properly when mounted on the head, something I hadn't noticed during the dry-fit. To correct it I had to fill a gap at the back and model some hair from Milliput, which was annoying, especially when so close to the finish.

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Blimey. I'm way behind :tears-of-joy: :thumb2: . A fantastic bust as always. It just amazes me you can do this in a weekend. I spent all weekend painting 58 tank tyres. I think I need to start being a figure painter:smiling5::smiling5::smiling5::cool::thumb2:

D

Deleted member 6559

Thanks chaps.

Steve - I'd rather do this than tank tyres. I have a Tamiya Pzkpfw II in the cupboard which I just can't face for that reason.