Cornered, Trapped and Destroyed!...Nov.1944

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
I intend to have a wrecked 1/35 armour in front of a bit of a street frontage.

I've made a start on the buildings and designed a couple of shop fronts which I think look about right for the 1940's, made from foam board and plastic sheets.

P1240910.JPG

P1240912.JPG

P1240924.JPG

P1240925.JPG

Cheers.
Ron

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
'e's off again! Any chance you can find time to put up a row of chairs so we can all watch in comfort instead of breathin' down each other's necks tryin' to get a glimpse of what's happening?

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks chaps.
Any chance you can find time to put up a row of chairs so we can all watch in comfort instead of breathin' down each other's necks tryin' to get a glimpse of what's happening?

Dave, plenty of room in the place. Stretch out, relax and the usherette will be along shortly.

Jim, good to have you along too. I have to use the foam boards 'cos the missus bought me them for my birthday in March!

Update. After a few quick scribbles to try and liven up the idea department, I've made a start on the building.
It will be exposed brickwork with render to the first floor wall. There will also be some stone work.

Foam board with shop front, 1st floor windows cut out and brickwork marked out.
P1240929.JPG

One coat of beige/brown and one of orange and dk. blue children's 'In the tube' acrylics liberally brushed on and allowed to run where the paint wished to go. I cleaned the brush and using the dirty water, I wiped the brush on the render to take away the harsh white of the board.
P1240930.JPG

A close up of the result. No faffing about, nice and quick and simple.
P1240931.JPG

Before anyone questions the lack of lintols to support the brickwork, the fancy top to the shop window frames will hide where they should be, so no need to scribe them in

Cheers, and thanks for looking in.... :thumb2:

Ron

MikeC

SMF Supporter
Has left the Building
First Name
Michael
This is Mr. Jealous from the back,
Will you please refrain from making these superb buildings, it will do you no good as I will inform the pyrotechnic wizard himself...
Grand job, love the wall texture...
Mike.

MikeC

SMF Supporter
Has left the Building
First Name
Michael
Hi Ron
I'm in. Love your stuff.

I remember when it was pizza bases. Now he's going all posh. He'll be using proper modelling paint next :rolling:
Jim
Yeah!!! about time we tied him down and dragged a tutorial out of him, he'll never recognise us will he Jim...

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks boys.
Haha, I could spend days trying to recreate that and still not get close :smiling5:
Andy, I fear sometimes folks get bogged down with too many technicalities and over complicate things, thus spoiling the continuity of the painting. My late father tried to teach me how to paint and back then there were not all these fancy paints, pigments, washes and god knows what else 'Must have's', modellers think they need. I don't use any of these preferring to keep it simple and quick with the most basic of stuff to hand.

Having written all that twaddle, it is of course up to the individual just how complicated or simple are the processes they adopts. 'Whatever floats yer boat'

Mike - Don't tell 453, but I already have the matches to hand....Wink, wink!
Tutorial? The same method has been well covered by others (453 for instance) as well as myself in previous builds.

Your Servant,
Vinny van Cough, Goff Gogh

• Wow
Reactions: JR

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
It's a rotten, wet and miserable day, so I've just finished making this bit of stone work. Originally, this was going to be brick built, but I reasoned there would then be too much of it, so to break things up a bit, stone it is.
Same method as above. I forgot to mention I use a Stanley Knife (Other digit removing tools are available) for the scribing and not my scalpel. Don't ask me why, 'cos I don't know, perhaps it's because the knife is more economical on blades and longer lasting.

This will be fixed to the right hand side of the brickwork.-I think!
P1240932.JPG

Cheers.
Ron

D

Deleted member 7181

Andy, I fear sometimes folks get bogged down with too many technicalities and over complicate things.
That's my point Ron, if I thought I could get anywhere near those results with quick & easy methods I absolutely would. At work I'm known for cutting so many corners that most of my jobs are round lol, the trick is knowing which ones to cut and still end up with the desired result...

I'll keep watching, enjoying, and learning :smiling3:

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks to both Andy and Ralph for your comments.

Concentrating on the right hand end.....

I never plan what I'm going to do, I just wait for ideas to come along, and in my minds eye I've pictured needing a corner, so I've cut the brickwork and turned the smaller shop front through to 90 degrees.
P1240937.JPG

P1240938.JPG

I wanted the arches set back a bit, so I've added a small return to the building to give me something to fix the arches to.
P1240935.JPG

P1240936.JPG

Here's the frontage thus far.
P1240934.JPG

Next, I'll do summat to the left hand side. That will balance things out a bit and nearly finish the front bit ready for the shop fronts to be fitted and the 1st floor windows.

Cheers.
Ron

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thank you Ian and PaulE. Your positive posts are much appreciated.... :thumb2:

I've now made and added the return on the left hand end. This more or less finishes the main frontage brick and stonework.

P1240942.JPG

Here's the completed bottom 'arf.
P1240943.JPG

Next I'll add the first floor windows. Fit the shop fronts, and then think about the base and the proper destruction!

Cheers.
Ron

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Now I've finished my contribution to Bob's excellent Stug G.B., I will carry on with this build.
I've made some progress over the hols.

In my minds eye, I wanted to build up the corner of the building, so I added some sections of internal first floor wall out of foam board off-cuts and added some thin card from an old receipt book to support a small section of the valley and a part of the roof further along.

I've also added a further doorway and wall to the left side.
P1240962.JPG

P1240963.JPG

........................................................................................................................................

Here's the up to date progress.......

I've added a small brick wall return to the left of the building. Cut down the stone wall on the right and returned that too. It sort of balanced the thing up.

I added the purlins and sparred out the roof as much as is necessary, then I set fire to the whole section of the roof and let it burn until I was happy with the effect and quickly doused the flames!

I've closed off the ground floor rooms and added some more wrecked walls to the first floor rear elevations. I added a rendered wall behind the arches too.

Card slates have been added along with a few paper batten remnants.

With a large flat headed brush, liberally loaded with all suitable shades of cheapo paints, I've literally sloshed over the whole structure and just let the paint run and mix where it chooses... :upside:

Finally, I've fixed the building to a chipboard base and sprinkled dust and general c**p over the base.

Here's where I'm up to now.......
P1250151.JPG

P1250156.JPG

P1250152.JPG

P1250154.JPG

P1250155.JPG

P1250157.JPG

P1250153.JPG

P1250159.JPG

I'm not going to add any cobbled roads or pavements, as the whole base will be knee deep in rubble. (As it should be)

Next, I'll make and fit any window frames and doors that might have survived. Finish and fit the shop fronts and added tons of rubble etc..

Thanks for looking.

Cheers.
Ron