Cowboys and Indians

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
They were all the rage when I was a kid, and TV schedules (both of them!) were full of Western shows (remember Bonanza, High Chapparal, Gunsmoke, Cheyenne, Hopalong Cassidy, Lone Ranger, Rifleman, Maverick, Have gun will travel, Lawman, Laramie, Bronco, The Virginian, Wagon Train, Rawhide - beats me how they ever found time to show anything else!) so what's happened?

I'm looking for some 28mm figures - must be plastic - and can I find any? Not really. I've found a few 'heroic' (big heads and hands) and fantasy types - even cowboy orcs - around, but I can't find any what you might call 'normal' types.

I've bought a few 'opposition' sets recently - Russians vs. Germans, Japanese vs. Marines, ACW Union vs. Confederates, and Zulus vs. The Brits of course - so it would be nice to have some of the old rivals. I'm only looking for maybe a dozen of each as I've no interest in building huge armies.

Can anyone help please?

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Try knuckleduster miniatures Dave....probably the best western miniatures in the market right now. Not plastic though, not sure if anyone makes them. Try plastic soldier review here...
for the most comprehensive listing and info.....

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Thanks for that Tim. Alas, I bought some of those figures a couple of years ago and I wasn't at all impressed. I felt they would need a huge amount of work with files and sanders to get the surfaces presentable as there was a lot of rough texture and mould lines - they certainly didn't seem to be value for money.

That's the main reason I want hard plastic figures. Even if they do need some work, it's generally easier to do.

I've looked at that PS review site. Don't they only cover 1/72 figures? While there are a couple of sets I might be interested in if I can't find anything in 28mm, most seem to be either poor quality or moulded in that polythene type plastic which can't be sanded or glued.

While I'm here ....

Having got a few sets of opposition troops - I'm thinking of maybe putting together a few skirmish type dios - I've had a look at some Napoleonic figures. Why is it that all the sets of infantry only have figures in marching type poses? Great for set piece battles and for those who want armies of figures. Does anyone do infantry sets - I'm not fussed about the nationality as long as I can get opposition groups - with mixed poses I could use in a small fight scene?

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Hi Dave
I’ll lookup other 28 mm gunfighter ranges, there are a few others about, but I think they’ll all be metal at 28mm.
As to firing line/ skirmish ranges in Napoleonics, the Perry Plastic French Line Dragoon’s are worth a look, they have a Dismounted skirmish Element as well as the guys on neddies, really interesting I think. Their Elite company French infantry are also in skirmish poses. They also do ACW figures in skirmish poses. For Napoleonic adversaries try the Victrix ranges, lots of options there. Remember as well you can usually pick up single sprues of these from various eBay sellers so you don’t have to buy the whole box.

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
I've seen some of the guys on gee gees from Perry and they look pretty good. I think the single sprues have only 3 - 4 figures which would be ideal for my purposes - a small skirmish with 6 - 8 figures wouldn't be too taxing so I'm looking out for them. I'm off to have a look at what Victrix do thanks.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
For 28mm western figures, try these....
They are metal, but they clean up like plastics once you’re used to them....

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
There's certainly plenty of characters and poses there to choose from and meet my requirements. I'm particularly interested in the Black Scorpion figures as it seems they're resin - not metal. They're a bit pricey but that's not a problem as I only want a handful.

Thanks Tim.

Still a bit of a mystery why no-one makes them in plastic given the popularity of the subject - or maybe westerns don't cut it.

These are some of the better Knuckleduster figures I bought

IMGP3843.JPG

Some really great poses but even after an hour's work there's lots of rough spots left. The other problem I have is the bases. I know wargamers need bases for their figures, but I don't. Any suggestions how to remove them from metal figures? Plastic ones are easy - a few snips with my cutters and a little careful trimming with a knife and they're done. Some of the feet on these are quite poorly moulded and small, I think using tools strong enough to do the job are likely to damage the figures.

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
HI Dave what happened to the Pegasus rocket as I was enjoyin that ?
chris

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Still a bit of a mystery why no-one makes them in plastic given the popularity of the subject - or maybe westerns don't cut it.
Not PC enough Dave - ethnic cleansing and all that.
Pete

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Hi Dave
There are several ways to remove bases from these figures....to be honest though, what works for plastics should work with these. One way is to clip them down with wire Cutters and remove the rest with a file or knife. Another way is to put a piece of eighty grit wet and dry on a board and rub the figure (base down obviously) in a figure of eight motion until the base is worn away.....You can then drill the leg and add a support wire. Of course, you could always just build up the groundwork over the base once they are painted.....

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
HI Dave that's what I did with my sailors on Norfolk cut off the base with a Stanley knife an then drilled out one or both legs an fit an superglue thin wire it the feet then drilled a hole that size in the deck an the figures look great an stand ok
chris

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
HI Dave that's what I did with my sailors on Norfolk cut off the base with a Stanley knife an then drilled out one or both legs an fit an superglue thin wire it the feet then drilled a hole that size in the deck an the figures look great an stand ok
chris

I had no problems removing the plastic bases from my recent lot of 15mm figures using the methods you guys suggest (although I didn't drill and pin mine - it's a static display and just gathers dust so I didn't need the extra strength a pin gives), just not sure it would work for me on metal figures. I guess the only way I'll find out is to bite the bullet and do a few.

My original plan for the figures I bought was for an indoor set-up in 4Ground's Stoic Arms building. I've got the building almost finished from what must be nearly 4 years ago now but I ran out of interest in the project when I started struggling with the figures I bought. Obviously, I can't hide the bases on indoor floors, although it shouldn't be difficult to hide them if I wanted to pose the figures outdoors.

Gary - was it the Artizan figures you wanted me to have a look at? They look to be much better quality than the Knuckleduster ones so I'll keep them in mind. Meantime I'm still thinking about the resin ones Tim found.

Gary MacKenzie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gary
Gary - was it the Artizan figures you wanted me to have a look at? They look to be much better quality than the Knuckleduster ones so I'll keep them in mind. Meantime I'm still thinking about the resin ones Tim found.

I just linked to the 28mm figures
If you move to oo/ho , preiser and a few others do gold miners etc in that scale too

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
I just linked to the 28mm figures
If you move to oo/ho , preiser and a few others do gold miners etc in that scale too

Hi Gary. Sorry it's taken a while to get back to you. I've been nosing around and you're right, there seem to be quite a few figures in the smaller scales. I was hoping to stick to 28mm though. I find this a nice balance between the finer details on the larger figures - given the rather narrow limits of my painting skills - and the difficulty of painting the tiny ones.

Still, it's nice to know there's a decent selection available if I do decide to scale down. Thanks.

Gary MacKenzie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gary
The oo/ho are for ''model railways'' , the gold miners set(s) looked good when i was looking at them a few years ago for a friend, the idea being a narrow gauge line up to a mine or river prospectors.

He moved house and project is on hold.