Crashed Spitfire

Robert1968

SMF Supporter
First Name
Robert
Was thinking what to do with some of my part finished model kits and I have a Revell 04554 1/48 Mk9C/ Mk XVI with clipped wings.Now I lost the canopy but have found through ref I can get spare sprue from Revell ( not sure of cost yet.

However I'm thinking along the lines of a crashed spit and I have tried to source relevant pics and I know ( think Steve advised on slight broken rear fuselage etc

Can anyone tell me if this pic found a relevant Mk of spitfire ( or does anyone have any ref pics for help?

View attachment 120485

image.jpeg

D

dubster72

Wouldn't that Spit be a IX? 4 bladed prop & Merlin engine is what I'm seeing .... but aircraft recognition isn't my thing I'll admit!

Robert, I might have a canopy for a Mk XIV somewhere. I've no idea if it would fit your Revell kit (mines the Academy one) . I'll have a root round in the stash cupboard tomorrow & let you know.

Robert1968

SMF Supporter
First Name
Robert
\ said:
Wouldn't that Spit be a IX? 4 bladed prop & Merlin engine is what I'm seeing .... but aircraft recognition isn't my thing I'll admit!
Robert, I might have a canopy for a Mk XIV somewhere. I've no idea if it would fit your Revell kit (mines the Academy one) . I'll have a root round in the stash cupboard tomorrow & let you know.
Thanks Patrick it would be appreciated. I believe the revell kit gives you options for the Mk9 which had the 4 blade prop and the XIV is I believe the same as the Mk 9 but with a different wing and upgraded engine.

Comparing kits of spits ( I've made most except trumpeter ) but dimensionally 1/48 should be the same scale other than detail is different from kit to kit

Research on downed spitfires continues :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

Robert

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
The Mk XIV was a Griffon engined machine. The Mk XVI had the 'upgraded' Merlin 266 engine. The transposition of an I and a V can make a lot of difference :smiling3:

I'm not sure if the canopy (at least on a 'high back' XIV) was different to the Mk IX, but I doubt it.

The Mk IX could be armed with 2 x 20mm cannon and either 4 x .303 or 2 x .50 calibre machine guns. I'm virtually sure that all Mk XVIs were armed with 2 x 20mm cannon and 2 x .50 calibre machine guns (but I'm not at home).

Cheers

Steve

Robert1968

SMF Supporter
First Name
Robert
\ said:
The Mk XIV was a Griffon engined machine. The Mk XVI had the 'upgraded' Merlin 266 engine. The transposition of an I and a V can make a lot of difference :smiling3:
I'm not sure if the canopy (at least on a 'high back' XIV) was different to the Mk IX, but I doubt it.

The Mk IX could be armed with 2 x 20mm cannon and either 4 x .303 or 2 x .50 calibre machine guns. I'm virtually sure that all Mk XVIs were armed with 2 x 20mm cannon and 2 x .50 calibre machine guns (but I'm not at home).

Cheers

Steve
I'll,try and get some pics on later Steve of the part build spit I'm hoping to use as a crashed spitfire, but your defiantly the man to get info on spitfires

Thanks again

Robert

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
\ said:
I'll,try and get some pics on later Steve of the part build spit I'm hoping to use as a crashed spitfire, but your defiantly the man to get info on spitfires
Thanks again

Robert
Love to see the pics.

It's nice of you to say so, but I assure you there are many who know a lot more about Spitfires than I do :smiling3:

Cheers

Steve